C1, C2, T1, T2 - what does that mean?

julysrain

Reaction score
On my CC on my TV I have choices of C1, C2, T1, and T2. But the CC only works on C1. Why are there other things if they don't work? While I'm at it, what do all those things mean? Thanks!

It depends on what show is on. Some companies add a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th 'channel' to the show. The 1st channel is usually the closed captioning. If they added a 2nd 'channel' to the show, it is most likely C2 and in spanish. As a result, you've got spanish captioning. As for the 3rd and 4th 'channel' added, it's usually T1 and T2 which is Text like C is Caption. Text is sorta like a commentary or anything explaining what's being shown. I've seen C1, C2, T1, and T2 being used on educational shows while I was in high school.

Thank you Vampyro. I had no idea. I'm going to turn on the tv sometime when one of those educational programs is on (usually about 6 am LOL) and see if the other captioning things work. Thanks!

julysrain said:
Thank you Vampyro. I had no idea. I'm going to turn on the tv sometime when one of those educational programs is on (usually about 6 am LOL) and see if the other captioning things work. Thanks!
No problem. It might work on your television.

For me, it was already on tape and designed for use in schools. Maybe, it's the same for home television... hopefully. ;)

Let me know if it works. ;)

T1 and T2 isn't work on TV? How do it can work?

T1 for ABC TV Guide schedules.. I watched for long time ago, and also sometime C-Span channels shows a Texts for a House File listing..

Back