body worn processor???

I really don't find it to be of any uses at all.
I know.....it's overhyped and overrated....I mean there are some times when it's good (like someone with a soft voice) but for the most......it's pretty much USELESS....God the experts make the classroom sound like a construction site or something!

deafdyke said:
I know.....it's overhyped and overrated....I mean there are some times when it's good (like someone with a soft voice) but for the most......it's pretty much USELESS....God the experts make the classroom sound like a construction site or something!

:lol: When you say that, I couldn't help but recollect back to my school days because whenever we had to watch a video, the teacher would put the microphone by the speaker and I hated it because it amplified the sounds. Whenever there was a loud "BOOM!" from the TV, I always jumped from my seat and my classmates were mellow & enjoying the show. I'd be paranoid thinking there was a "BOOM!" in the classroom.

Cookie Monster said:
I grew up in the '70s yes but when I was a wee kid, I errrr.. developed too fast before the FM system came out. :Oops: It was torture using the body FM system during gym time or even for recess! I loved King's Court and no one could even "oust" me from King's Court because I was really good at that game, come to think of it.. I think the boys loved sitting out of that game just to watch. Gee... now it's more embarrassing to think of that!

I loved the newer FM system and I felt so liberated like a 60's teen burning her bra!! :P

I grew up in the 1970s too, but what I remember most is the body worn hearing aids I wore when I was a wee little kid!! The FM system, I remember, I wore in the 1980s during high school, and they were pretty big back then, I had to wear it like a necklace!!

Cookie Monster said:
:lol: Whenever there was a loud "BOOM!" from the TV, I always jumped from my seat and my classmates were mellow & enjoying the show. I'd be paranoid thinking there was a "BOOM!" in the classroom.

Same here with my Super Power hearing aid....since it is "amplified", I remember when there was a BOOM! all of a sudden in a movie theater or elsewhere close enough to me, I jump out of my skin...but the others, they were enjoying the scene! LOL

I got the CI three years ago, and was talked into getting both a BTE and a body worn. I guess it really depends on where you go for your CI, what brand you are getting, personal choice, etc....

I NEVER use the Body worn processor, the only time I do is when I go to get Mapped and then I just bring it along. In the beginning I was "talked into" getting a BWP besides a BTE because they (my audis) were convinced that people did better with the BWP in the beginning than the BTE. I guess it is mostly because with the BWP (Nucleus) they could download 4 speech strategies into the BWP, where back then they could only download 2 programs into the BTE, and they wanted to give newbie CI users more options with the 4 programs in the beginning because there are so many different things that you need to try out when you first get the CI.

However, I personally wish I didn't get the BWP, because I never wear it. I ALWAYS wear my BTE cuz it is so darn comfy and not a hinderance. My BWP just sits in a drawer at home gathering dust. I might bring it back to my CI center and see if I can trade it in for a second BTE (for backup).

Now with the new Freedom (Nucleus) implant I hear most people just get the BTE, cuz the new Freedom has tons of features that the older model (Nucleus 22 or 24) BTE's don't have, and you can also download 4 programs onto the Freedom BTE..

Superfroggy....we're talking about Canada, so I doubt that the Freedom is available for darkangel.

Hey deafdyke,

Thanks for clarifying.... oops, guess I didn't read the first post carefully enuff..

But I did just want to say I guess it just varies from person to person, depending on what their CI center does, what brand they get (Nuc. or AB), I have no idea what they do in Canada, but I guess you might be right since they have national health coverage versus our privatized ins. here in the US.. guess that could be a factor too! The BTE's are pricier after all!

Some CI centers prefer the newly activated folks to use a BWP for the first couple days, even if they only ordered a BTE.. some will give out "loaner" BWP's for the first few days... their logic is that the BWP is easier to handle in the beginning since the controls are easily visible and accessible (big buttons and you can read the input on the little screen). At least this is what my experience was... :wave:

Back