Bilingual-Bicultural Education

Jananaka

Reaction score
Hi,
What do you think about bi-bi education? What do you know about it? I actually know quite a bit because I'm writing a reasearch paper about it (due wednesday . . . i'm such a slacker!). I wanted to know what you think, since all I know I've read in scholarly journals and from talking to Deaf adults. I probably can't quote you because they're weird about sources, but I still want to know. There seems to be a lot of differing views on this forum, so PLEASE tell me what you think!

Also, has anyone ever had a voice captionist? I work in my university's Accessibility Center and they hired me to be a voice captionist next semester because I know how to use the program. As far as I know, I go to classes with Deaf students and repeat everything the teacher says into my laptop. Then I go home, edit the transcripts, and email them to the student. Do you have any suggestions? I'm worried because the program doesn't always recognize what I say so things come out wrong sometimes.

It's where they teach ASL first as a natural language, then add English. The goal is to make everything completely accessible and encourage involvement, creativity, etc. It's taught by Deaf teachers or codas so they're good language models, and they teach how to separate ASL and English grammar, etc. They also prepare students to live in both Deaf and hearing cultures . . . hence bilingual-bicultural.

it's only been around since 1991, but i think it is a spectacular philosophy and it's worked well so far.

Back