Before gay marriage: inter-racial marriage

Lasza

Premium Lurker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Annals of the 20th Century
Before gay marriage: inter-racial marriage

The political and cultural upheaval over gay marriage isn't the first time changes in marriage have rocked the United States. Fifty years ago the issue of interracial marriage was as inflammatory as the gay marriage issue is today. And interracial marriage went through generally the same stages of controversy as gay marriage is going through. The question is, will gay marriage ultimately achieve the widespread acceptance that interracial marriage enjoys? While the issue is open, one observer suggests the process will be slower. A big difference between the two, suggests Harvard Law School professor Randall Kennedy, is that by the time the Supreme Court declared laws against interracial marriage unconstitutional in 1967, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 had paved the way politically for interracial marriage. Here's a look at this interesting subject, with pro and con arguments, on The New York Times.

P.S. Sorry, I don't have any link for that. Have a membership for access to New York Times. I found that article in e-mail I usually receive sometime on weekely. Thought I share with you all about that article.

yes Lasza that is exactly what happened for the inter-racial marriages issue and i do think that WILL be what happen when the gay marriages become legal -- trying to ban it and with the uproar and the loud voices heard by the GLBT activists and ppl involved in the cause it will start to open and make it more widely accepted and with the more votes we get there would be more acceptance --

look at the Supreme Court's ruling ref to Lawrence et al VS Texas (2003)! that was ruled unconsitutional if the gay sex was between 2 consenting adults then there is Vermont's ruling to recognize same sex marriages -- in time we will succeed!!!!!!!!!

we HAVE a voice and we ARE being heard just is a very stubbornly argued issue with the right wing conservatives and the liberals along with the GLBT community and activists

FLy Free Exactly u made such a good point in this, my question is WHY should poeple have to back down on something that u know it will be forge thru no matter what, its best to accept and stfu abt it and let the people be, we are living in the land of the free and home of the brave, therefore, NO doubt this will entirely change our veiws on america once we finally get the recongintion we deserve, we are also amercians weather were part of the GBLT or the Hetrosexual!

I might sound off topic here, but i came across one of the threads (and i can't find it but i wanted to mention it), where cricket mentioned we should change the word MARRIAGE into something else, Cricket, I dont want to offend u i just understand UR opioion on this this is MY opioion on this, we all have different opioions, nothing wrong with that i just want to share my thoughts on this so u will know how i percived the word marriage -- its not abt man and woman so the bible says, its abt the love of one another who wishes to make the same vows the men and women do in thier marriage we want the same right same belif same respect we give to them! its not abt the WORD its abt the commitment we share with our fellow americans! So being MARRIED shows us we love our spouses, and want the same benifits the straights get, and also to share the equality of the scancity(sp) of the marriage, we're not abt laws, or taxes we're human beings who love the same sex and want to futher our future with being married in all aspect.

Last edited:
Back