audial and visual learners?

A

apathrev

In school, I was always taught that people are born as either audial or visual learners. Meaning that a person learns better through one method other than the other. The deaf world, who obviously cannot depend on the audial method, depend on their eyes not only for their sight, but alsd, figuratively speaking, as ears. Lately, I've been curious about this topic. If people are born with their brain designed to function one way better than the other, is it possible that some deaf people are born as audial learners, and if so wouldn't this slow their learning and development, or is the type of learning method that one prefers actually a trait that is developed through growth and personal development? Sorry if this seems incoherant and jumbled. Does anyone know any publications that discuss this or am I not making sense?

i think it has more to do with preference that is devolped. some people learn best by using touch...and too i believe that your brain compensates for a lack of hearing or sight especially if the sight or hearing is impaired from birth or early childhood.theres a good book that talks about stuff like this...i will have to look for it to give you the title if you like

Strangely enough even thou I have been dhh from an early age, I am an aural learner....that's weird...that's like a blind person being a visual learner!

crazed-wolf said:
i think it has more to do with preference that is devolped. some people learn best by using touch...and too i believe that your brain compensates for a lack of hearing or sight especially if the sight or hearing is impaired from birth or early childhood.theres a good book that talks about stuff like this...i will have to look for it to give you the title if you like

Please do, if you can find that book title. Throughout school, we always were forced to do these goofy exercises and assignments to determine which we were, and they insisted everyone is born one way or another. If this is the case, does anyone think it is possible to adjust to the other method of learning?

Back