ASL taught as a foreign language credit?

Gary3

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Gary and I am a student at Miami University. In my Sociocultural Studies class we chose to look into whether or not American Sign Language should be taught as a foreign language credit for our discourse. While we have found many articles on this matter, I was hoping to get some input from the deaf community. Should ASL be considered a foreign language? Should it be taught in school? If so, as an English credit or a foreign language credit?

I would appreciate any input you would be willing to share - from both sides. Also, if you know of any resources that may be helpful, I would appreciate that info as well.

Take care and have a great day!

Yes it does credit for foreign language.... my old high school starts in 1990's.... many students want to learn the signs like others learn to speak german or french... spain language. I believe it is worth to take it as credit. Good luck!

I actually took ASL in my high school as well as Spanish and they were equally difficult and complex. American Sign Language is definitely a foreign language and should be taught as such because it has its own syntax and sentence structure and many other elements that languages have. I absolutely loved taking ASL and learning about Deaf Culture and Deaf people. It's such a rich world that people in general tend to overlook.

yes, I agree that hearing people should learn ASL as a foreign language so that they can talk to deaf people faster. I am deaf myself, and I learned Signed Exact English at the age of 2. Then I started learning ASL through the interpreters although they combined both ASL/PSE for deaf people who are in hearing world. I am going to learn ASL grammar and structures by myself during the summer so I can get used to communicating faster in the deaf world.

ASL is definately a foreign langauage in the sense that while not from a different country, it is not english. It has different set rules- and they are not always those of English. It also has a differnt syntax.
Also, try looking this one up a the library:

Armstrong, David F.
1988 Some Notes on ASL as a 'Foreign' Language. Sign Language Studies 59: 231-239.

hanabithief said:
ASL is definately a foreign langauage in the sense that while not from a different country, it is not english. It has different set rules- and they are not always those of English. It also has a differnt syntax.
Also, try looking this one up a the library:

Armstrong, David F.
1988 Some Notes on ASL as a 'Foreign' Language. Sign Language Studies 59: 231-239.

:gpost: But, sorry to say that USC doesn't recognize ASL as a foreign langauage! :shock:

What an insult to all of us! :mad:

Read this.

~DV

Really, I didn't know that.

Great Britain just recognized BSL as other language same with Australia's Auslan.

DeafVeggie said:
:gpost: But, sorry to say that USC doesn't recognize ASL as a foreign langauage! :shock:

What an insult to all of us! :mad:

Read this.

~DV

yeah, that is pretty insulting, even to me. ( And ASL isn't even my first langauge. I use it pretty much daily... but usually only with spoken english/japanese, duing ASL class, when i can't understand, or when it is inconsiderate to others not to sign. Still, I am not at all amused by their narrow mindedness.)

As for their concern with kids taking ASL because they want an easy language.....well, they'll be in for a surprise. I'm in level two, and I rank near the top of my class recieving final grades of mostly B's. My high school has the most through ASL as a second langauge program in our area- they offer four years. Most likely I am at the top of my class because I need to use ASL. My classmates ask me for help alot of the time, and they joke that I don't need to study. I don't study half as much as them, but then again I don't use english half as much as them, either.

I can understand if a school doesn't accept SEE as a legitimate for foreign/second language credits. (As SEE is nothing more than signed english, it is still english, and therefore not a second langauge.)

That woman who says ASL is easy.... her dim conclusions reminds me of a kid I'm tutoring. Four weeks later, the girl can finially answer without hesitation when I ask her name and if she's deaf. Once in a while, she makes the mistake of repeating part of what she sees- signing deaf rather that hearing. It is rare she realizes her mistake...but I suppose with her cell phone nearly glued to her ear and a face that is dead of expression, no one will even bother to ask.

I appreciate the input. Keep it coming.

Take care and have a great day!

Gary

Back