Anyone read....

R2D2

Reaction score
"Rebuilt" by Michael Chorost? What did you think of it?

I think it is well written and some of it made me laugh and cry (the bit where he described his tinnitus after the hearing loss) but in a lot of ways it was a little bit too introspective. I think he takes the cyborg angle a little bit too far and I really didn't need to know about his sad sex life.

He certainly has a talent for writing though. The first chapter was excellent. It gave me a feel for how the process works as well, such as the initial disappointment upon being activated which then eventually gave way to growing satisfaction.

(PS I hope he doesn't lurk here!)

R2D2

R2D2 said:
"Rebuilt" by Michael Chorost? What did you think of it?

I think it is well written and some of it made me laugh and cry (the bit where he described his tinnitus after the hearing loss) but in a lot of ways it was a little bit too introspective. I think he takes the cyborg angle a little bit too far and I really didn't need to know about his sad sex life.

He certainly has a talent for writing though. The first chapter was excellent. It gave me a feel for how the process works as well, such as the initial disappointment upon being activated which then eventually gave way to growing satisfaction.

(PS I hope he doesn't lurk here!)

R2D2

I really enjoyed his book too, though I agree with you he seemed a bit too overly paranoid about the "cyborg" angle. I liked a lot of the explanations he used, like using the analogy of seeing th world in different colors as a way to explain differences in hearing. It also explained a lot of the more technical aspects of CI's in layman's terms. I reccommend it.

Yea, I read it too! A very good book overall. Ditto on the cyborg angle...it was empathsized far too much and I didn't care for reading about his sex life either.

He is an excellent writer and he keeps you interested. I really loved the arcane details about the "evolution" of CIs. That was fascinating to me and I thank those folks for their sacrifices.

Highly recommended!

Just got it in from Amazon.co.uk
Allready read the first chapter at DeaFreadom's website. Was good.

I have been meaning to read that - I've read a lot about transhumanistic philosophy, so I wonder how this fits in.

On the "cyborg" note: do you get a lot of "you are Borg, we will be assimilated" jokes from people asking about your CI?

No I didn't,
I've seen you mentioning it though, and it's on my list "to read".
On my part I recommend Beverly Biderman "Wired for sound...."

I find it very very peculiar the those who are so anti-CI and spread so many misconceptions (because they are misinformed themsleves) about how does CI work and what it can do, never read books like that- books that tell firsthand experience what it is like to have CI, the only personal relay that could be treated with almost complete trust.

Fuzzy

Back