Anybody Interested?

cocambria

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Michelle. I learned about this website just by researching. I'm looking for anyone who would be interested in doing an interview? I'm taking a psychology class which is in relation to disabilites. I'd like to interview someone who is deaf. Not all questions that I propose have to be answered. This is merely a research project. I also look forward to meeting new people and learning new information. If any takers, please reply to my message and I'll get back to you soon. Maybe we can do the interview through instant messenger. Thanx for reading this!

Hi,

Welcome to AD and enjoy your stay here....I don't mind answering questions, so let me know when you will be posting them and I'll be happy to answer as much questions as I can ;)

hmm as for your researching i hope this ll help deaf and hearing arent differnt just an ability to hear are different yet rest of our abilitys pretty much the same its how people treat us that cause us to be kind of different generally of course deaf people pretty much can do everything hearing people can including the ability to hear thanks to hearing aids technology but dont work at every deaf people there is i myself are deaf too so your question are welcome i ll answer them best i can and no because i have bad grammar dont mean i dont know them i m just too lazy to put on peroids and commas heh

hola welcome to here! i am more than glad to answer any of ur questions...heh :D

Michelle, you can PM me anytime if you want me to participate in your research study.

Good luck!

Thank you all for the welcome. :grouphug: Sorry for posting and taking off for a few days. I'm just going to ask some questions that would give me information I'd like to put into my research paper. Feel free to answer (or skip some if you'd rather not answer those) here on the forum or PM me if you don't want the whole forum to know. I look foreward to communicating with you! Thanx again. Also: everyone's identity (forum name and personal identification) will be kept confidential.

1. How old are you?
2. Was you're disability accidental or since birth?
3. In what ways has it changed your life?
4. What has been the most difficult adjustment?
5. How has it affected your physical image of yourself?
6. How has it affected you psychologically?
7. How has you disability affected your family and friends?
8. Is there any necessary treatment or medication for you?
9. To what extent do you consider your disability a handicap?
10. What is your reaction to children staring at you? Adults staring?
11. What kind of discrimination have you encountered?
12. What do you think is the most helpful way for a temporarily able-bodied
person to understand your disability and its psychological aspects?
13. What advice would you give to professionals so that they may be more
helpful?
14. What positive lessons have you learned from your disability?
15. What role has a sense of humor played in you life?
16. What is a humorous incident related to your disability?
17. What is a sad incident?
18. Do you or have you ever felt angry about your disability at times? If so,
how do/did you deal with the anger?
19. Have you been depressed? If so what did you do during your depression
and to overcome your depression?
20. Has substance abuse been a problem?
21. Has your sexuality been affected?
22. Do yo feel that the jobs you desire are available to you? Or are there
barriers?
23. What community activities are you involved with? Any advocacy groups?
24. Are there political issues related to your disability which need attention?
25. Are your recreational activities affected by your disability?
26. Can you suggest any books or articles that would enlighten people and
help them understand about deafness?
27. Are you married? Tell me about how you met. Are there difficulties with
your marriage that relate to your disability? How is your marraige unique?
28. Do you have any children? Are they deaf also? How do they relate to
your disability? What are some of the things they say or ask about your
disability? How do other children react or treat them in relation to your
disability?
29. If there is any other information that you would like to add please feel
free. Skip any questions that you don't feel comfortablle answering. I
may even PM some of you if I have additional questions. Thank you for
taking the time to read this long post. I am very interested in how you
respond. Please don't think this is to get a paper done and that's it. I'm
not a shallow person. I'd like to inform people and help them to open
their eyes to a new way of thinking. I'd like to help them feel
comfortable about a topic such as disability so that they may be able to
approach somebody with a disability and know that it's just the same as
approaching somebody who doesn't have a disability. Lastly, so if there
are any typos. I might have rushed through this. Thank You!!!!!

1. How old are you? 27 , will be 28 in May!

2. Was you're disability accidental or since birth? i became Hard of Hearing at 18 months til 22yrs old then deaf rest of my life *no reasons what it causes* except the deaf which was by high fever with lupus disease

3. In what ways has it changed your life? still funny between hearing and deaf.. but i need to go to deaf culture and gettin along wtih deaf ppl cause i grew up with hearing ppl , u know.. i am glad that i learn sign languages from the past which is SEE and i learn more ASL! smile

7. How has you disability affected your family and friends? well , they do signs as little bit .. most of oral talking! and they undy what deaf meaning but they dont wanna me to be in any deaf schools blah blah

8. Is there any necessary treatment or medication for you?nah!

10. What is your reaction to children staring at you? Adults staring?i dont care if they staring at me when i oral funny or signs! not my big plm, that their plms! wink

11. What kind of discrimination have you encountered? most of in the world , discrimination with disablies which they not give us a try chance to do on the jobs, etc.. u know!! so we are not give up with ppl since they discriminating us! too bad for them til they gettin sick of us and let us go :D

14. What positive lessons have you learned from your disability?focus on my life and ignore anyone's words about my lessons being a deaf .. too bad for them , i love to learn anything on my own about myself and i can do anything like jobs, having kids , etc.. like that! smile
15. What role has a sense of humor played in you life?i am worst ornery lady! and full of sense of humors! :D

18. Do you or have you ever felt angry about your disability at times? If so,
how do/did you deal with the anger?yeah. not always, sometimes FRUSTRATION for something which i could not gettin what it is or about! i feel not fair cause most of hearing ppl undy what that about or is! .. grrrr that where i gettin frustration!

19. Have you been depressed? If so what did you do during your depression
and to overcome your depression?yes i used to be depressed for 2 years since i became deaf in 2003 so i move on and i have to learn about myself to stand up and can do it!

21. Has your sexuality been affected?dont need to know abt my sexuality! it my personal.. smile!

23. What community activities are you involved with? Any advocacy groups?i need to go any deaf cultures soon to be mingling with new deaf ppl and see what they havin in their life or different than mine! u know ..

sorry i dont answer few questions! so here few questions which i ANSWERED for ya! smile!!

TOF

Thank you TOF for the questions you did answer! :applause: It seems like your family is supportive. In my observations I've come to believe that it is easier for somebody with a disability (and their family) to cope and to see things as "just the way of life" for them when they were born with a disability or when the disability started at at very young age. I've noticed that people who become disabled later on in life (for whatever reason), especially after things have been established in their life, take a longer time to accept and focus on what they can do rather than what they can 'no longer' do. You seem very positive and I'm just assuming that this is because you've been hard of hearing since you were young and you've had a longer time to cope and make adjustments. Correct me if I'm wrong it's just what I've noticed with other people who have disabilities when they're older. How did you react when you went from hearing a little bit to nothing at all? Was it a devastation to you? Or were you pretty much able to just pick up and move on?

My Answers to your Questionarre

1. How old are you?

2. Was your disability accidental or since birth?
Since birth

3. In what ways has it changed your life?
Well since I don't know what my life will be like if I am hearing or otherwise, I could't be able to identify the changes made in my life. :) Here I am just giving you a hard time.

4. What has been the most difficult adjustment?
Hm. i think it was more for my parents who have been adjusted this with difficulties. My mother is an immigrant so she felt more devasted about this but she, at the same time, was more aggressive to get me the best education etcetera and learned the ASL soon as possible to child-rear me better.

5. How has it affected your physical image of yourself?
I couldn't see how it does affect my body image... I mean... I know I am sexy, pretty, and awesome. (Ach, better take ahold of my naraccistic self!) Also I do know some people see me as a "hearing" person [i dont know what the hell does a Deaf person look like anyway! I always feel those people who said that I look hearing are narrow-minded. I feel offended when they think I am hearing-- that they are reinforcing the steretype that a Deaf person look "different" from the hearing people when there is NO visual difference!]

6. How has it affected you psychologically?
My deafness, as a psychological tactic, has made me feeling more unqiue-- the ability to stand out more... I have overcame my shyness by accepting that people will stare at me no matter what-- so I decided to absorb it and be more outgoing and more aggressive in asking questions in classroom or whatnot. At least they won't think that I am Miss Goody-Two-Shoes-- they will just account it on my deafness... so in a way, it does give me courage and confidence knowing that I am deaf and different from everybody and a reason to be SO different, lol.

7. How has you(r) disability affected your family and friends?
It does set some distance between me and my own family. BUt it could be the language-- the fact that my maternal family speak Finnish but they do know English.. but then it could be the location-- we are a continent apart. My brother who is hearing doesn't keep in touch with the maternal family as well. I do know that my paternal family rejected me because I am deaf-- with an exception of my late paternal grandfather who adored me. So it does set me more apart from my Finnish family-- the fact that I am an American, non-Finnish-speaking and DEAF.

8. Is there any necessary treatment or medication for you?
I do have a hearing aid (bte-- behind the ear) but I don't use it since elementary school. Nothing else.

9. To what extent do you consider your disability a handicap?
I never really see my deafness as a handicap. I do see myself as a foreign person living in English-speaking group-- I gesture, I write, I try to understand others by lip-reading et cetera. You may see it as a handicap, but i think it is the same for other people who are speaking ESL (english as second language)... they gesture when they don't know English words, et cetera. The only handicap I see is the fact that if I am handcuffed then I am not able to SPEAK... or that if I got in an accident then I couldn't wake up if an EMT tries to tell me to wake up but I couldn't hear her/him. That would be considered as my hindrance because of my deafness. I don't care about the usage of phone, the ability to hear music, et cetera. I NEVER feel I miss out on anything.

10. What is your reaction to children staring at you? Adults staring?
I don't mind children staring-- i always smile at them--hopefully to sublime the message that DEAF PEOPLE ARE NORMAL, etc. But adults always have those stares that are not kind and INNOCENT like children's. I never never never like the adults staring at me and will try to stare back at them and smile or cock my eyebrows to inform them that "YES I AM NORMAL, AND WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT, FUCKHEAD" or something nicer in the tone. I know I am pushing them away by doing it but I think it is SO inconsiderate of them to stare. They are taught manners such as: don't STARE at a person who is in a wheelchair-- it is the same thing with staring at a deaf person! If you want to stare, at least SMILE when you realized you have been caught by the deaf person. When I caught an adult giving me the "glare" and the person just kept his/her face blank and so... COLD. I would snap back but if the person just went "oh. sorry" and smile or whatever, I would appreciate it. Then I will realize that the person was just fascinated, not looking at me as a freak show.

11. What kind of discrimination have you encountered?
OH MY GOD. That Deaf cannot do anything. The MOST recent incident was an art classmate at my university caught me in a parking lot and (who never spoke to me until that moment) asked me, "Do you drive to here?" I was like "uh yeah?" She dropped her jaws, "YOU DRIVE a car?!" I was like "ummm yes?" she was like "Wow!" then contiuned her way. And the comments at school that people would ask, "did you ask anybody else to proofread your paper/ask for help with your paper?" I was like "well I proofread my own paper/helped myself" then they would go "WOW". This irriates me that just because I said English is not my first language or that I cannot hear doesn't mean I am stupid. Also there are a good number of professors who DO think I am little... slow. They will tell me before the class starts, "I will expalin about this, and that and those" then he will repeat the same thing before the class when it starts. Why making me so special? I just want to be treated as a normal college student. Let me sit in the back! Let me hide! I am trying to be patient beacuse i know they want to make sure that I do understand everything but ... I WILL ASK IF I DONT UNDERSTAND LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE WOULD! ARRRRRRRRRRRGH.

12. What do you think is the most helpful way for a temporarily able-bodied person to understand your disability and its psychological aspects?
Put them in our shoes and make them walking a mile. It is hard for people to understand Deaf people... Just don't treat them any different. You wouldn't want to be treated differently? "Do unto others as you would have them do to you."

13. What advice would you give to professionals so that they may be more helpful?
Take a class in Deaf culture/awareness... and a course that may specialize in how to deal with Deaf clients/students/whichever roles Deaf have assumed. Three hours workshop, whatever it takes just to ... warm them up to the Deaf patrons.

14. What positive lessons have you learned from your disability?
Everybody is a-okay-- some just become a-okay at much later in life. Just smile and educate others about "diversity". Educate them with my deafness by being around in public areas everyday among the people. Open their minds as I am living my life as a Deaf woman.

15. What role has a sense of humor played in your life?
I am a funny person. It is my way to meet new people. I do the same thing wiht the hearing people-- to ease them up and be more warm to me-- to talk with me or whatnot. You could say that my humor is my front to the real me. Deep inside, I am just one screwed-up woman (laughing) who make fun of myself all the times. But I do know that my friends and family love me because I can make lemonades out of lemons. Yeah. I definitely use my sense of humor to get along with people-- to get around and meet new people. Because I don't know what else to say except to make fun of myself-- so they can participate and poke at themselves as well then it turns into one big contest of "Who Got the Worst Bathroom Moment"!

[CONTINUED IN NEXT POST-- I have reached the limits of 10,000 characters]

Last edited:
16. What is a humorous incident related to your disability?
MY mother-in-law, at a loud party, lent down to talk to me... well more like TO MY EAR! I was flabbergasted by her action because she knew I am profoundly Deaf so what was the point of whispering to my ear! I pulled her away so I could see her face to lip-read... she was confused by my pulling her away... she didn't realize her actions until hours later when she finally realized and said, "I felt so stupid! I just... thought you will hear me. I mean, I know you are Kirsi (my name) but... I saw you and I wanted to tell you something and because the music was loud so I thought it is better to go up to your ear." :lol: She was slightly buzzed from the alcoholic drinks as well so it was possible that one of the effects is mistake me for a hearing person.

17. What is a sad incident?
One thing that I remembered the most from my childhood was when I went out to play with the 'hood kids... one girl kept screaming at me (TO my ear!) I kept pushed her away and said, "STOP!" but I don't know if I said it wrong (wrong sounds, or whatever) but then I could lipread her saying, "YOU ARE A RETARD!" .... but then her older brother (who I played with frequently) pushed her away and yelled at her. I was surrounded by like five other kids while the girl screamed at me "YOU ARE A RETARD!" Horrible feeling. Horrible memory to remember. I could describe you the hair she had, the clothes she wore et cetera... it is that vivid.

18. Do you or have you ever felt angry about your disability at times? If so, how do/did you deal with the anger?
No.

19. Have you been depressed? If so what did you do during your depression and to overcome your depression?
Depressed for other reasons, not because of my deafness. I just removed the cause of my depression and I felt better. :) (my ex-- broke up with the blood-suckling bastard. lol).

20. Has substance abuse been a problem?
No. Never use drugs. (proud of myself for that)

21. Has your sexuality been affected?
BY my deafness? NO. I mean I only slept with deaf men, so maybe my sexuality is "Deaf" as well? lol i dont know, I am being silly.

22. Do yo feel that the jobs you desire are available to you? Or are there barriers?
Not really. The barrier is the language and also the lack of resources... I am worried (in my subconcious) about how I am able to work and sell my artwork in a real gallery and whatnot without people discriminating me as a Deaf person... "OH poor her-- let us give her a gallery show and she will feel a bit better.". I don't want people to hire me for my deafness but for my talents and qualifications. I don't want pity. That is what I feel that prevent me from getting a job I enjoy and succeed in with my OWN ability.

23. What community activities are you involved with? Any advocacy groups?
I do work with University of California, San Diego's Cancer Center's Outreach program where we give out seminars and workshops for Deaf communities about cancers, to educate them about the risks and how to prevent/treat it et cetera.

24. Are there political issues related to your disability which need attention?
Availability of Certificated Interpreters. ADA laws in colleges. Lack of technology for Deafness on campus (i think my university is the worst of all... it sucks for the handicapped people who use wheelchairs because they cannot get to anotehr building without obstruction by stairs and whatnot. So in exchange a small shuttle is provided-- it is sort of like a golf cart for the handicapped to roll on and being shipped to another location) e.g. no TTY anywhere on the campus, whatnot.

25. Are your recreational activities affected by your disability?
Naw. I still hike, I can ride my bike. I drive and park under a starry sky. :)

26. Can you suggest any books or articles that would enlighten people and
help them understand about deafness?
Go to this thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=15253 several members have posted books for hearing people to read to understand deaf people.

27. Are you married? Tell me about how you met. Are there difficulties with your marriage that relate to your disability? How is your marraige unique?
I am "married"... I do have a domestic partnership but our "marriage" is not certificated by law... yet. :) We are married in our eyes and friends' eyes. He is Deaf as well so we do understand eachother. I am actually his first Deaf "woman" and it made a difference for him-- in understanding the hardships and feeling isolated from the family et cetera.

28. Do you have any children? Are they deaf also? How do they relate to your disability? What are some of the things they say or ask about your disability? How do other children react or treat them in relation to your disability?
No children. I do hope my children are Deaf or HoH-- to ease the cultural tensions if I do have hearing children instead. It is hard being a hearing CODA (child/ren of deaf adult/s).

29. >> Thanks for your interests in deaf community. I hope you have garnered enough information to compose a well-round essay! Will you post it when you have turned it in??? :) And also keep us posted with your grade!

Back