Anti-spyware software?

Josh B

Reaction score
What's AS program do you recommend? I never install Anti-spyware software for 2 month since freshest installed XP. I already have avast! AV on my pc...

There are a couple good ones... Ad Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Both are free. :)

Yeah you only need either Ad Aware or Spybot Search & Destroy. It is also better to use an alternative web browser such as Firefox or Opera rather than Internet Explorer.

I'm using Ad-Aware 2007 and AVG 7.5 and McAfee Security Center. They heal everything including viruses, spam pop-ups, hack window (I mean this toolbar and icons go disappear).

@omegaman
True! Mozilla Firefox rocks!

Spybot Search & Destroy and AntiVir Personal owner here and that's it.

I use Lavasoft Ad-Aware and Spybod Search & Destroy.

I also have a plug-in for Firefox called AdBlock. I can block specific stuff on websites.

For instance, if I come to a website that has one of those mini-banners that suddenly grow as big as the screen and won't go away until I click on something. I just right-click on it and "AdBlock" it. Then it won't appear again. If that exact same mini-banner is on other websites (same source URL), then it still won't appear. :)

I never use spyware software on a constant basis anymore, after I educated myself how to surf safely on the net.
With Firefox, a real tough way to get past is to look into getting these addons:
-Adblocker
-Flashblock
-NoScript
-Greasemonkey + Stylish + ad blocking per Gozer (This is very tough!)

You could even install them all, and nothing could virtually penetrate your defenses unless you allow them to, actually you'll have to start allowing some things past and you have to be computer savvy to understand what you're filtering through.

IE has next to no defense built in or addons aside from popup block and phishing check.

As for a recovery service when somehow the machine gets spyware infested.. usually I resort to three main pieces of software rather than the common AdAware/Spybot pile of stuff (I'm a geek, I prefer to fix the source directly than having a program do it)
-Hijackthis
-BruteForceUninstaller (another software from Merijin of Hijackthis)
-ComboFix <- Really good, used this at work for the 1923801923 infested machines I worked on. 99% success ratio of getting off what you wanted.

I got subscribe software called Spyware Doctor which is powerful protect the PC. I have since three years and doing great job.

I don't use spyware or adware on my PC anymore, it was stopped in 5 years ago, also I use Firefox at most time, sometime on Chrome (usually check Google Map at stable).

Avoid IE at all time, except for Windows Live related and I don't need Safari for PC either.

I got subscribe software called Spyware Doctor which is powerful protect the PC. I have since three years and doing great job.

Same here but I have Firefox addons and Norton 360 v2 instead. They're doing good job well.

Do you know that you can prevent bad cookies by turn off the "accept the third party cookies" option in internet browsers? It worked like charm.

I go to "regedit" in Run Command and I go thru "softwares" to look for spywares. It's a bitch, but hey I actually learned a lot doing this way.

Strange, I take a experiment on firefox option to wipe out all cookie after you close the windows and since I been use that then I run scan by spyware doctor and got nothing at all for few months. That's amazing! Compare to storage all cookie and I got few of spyware.

Back