All classrooms should have a SMARTBOARD!

deafbajagal

Reaction score
I don't know how teachers can live without having a Smartboard in their classrooms, especially in this day and age. Smartboards are wonderful for deaf and hard of hearing students!

Here's a link that you can check out to learn more about Smartboards:
SMART - Lesson activities

And here are some lesson plans that can be used with Smartboards (pssst...some of them are actually my very own lesson plans that I submitted ;) ): SMART - Lesson activities

Kudos to the Arkansas School for the Deaf because they accomplished their goal of having a Smartboard in EVERY SINGLE CLASSROOM!

What things you can do with a Smartboard?

Preschool-age students:
* Develop a program where students match upper case letters to upper case letters, upper and lower case letters, numbers, shapes, and colors...they can use their fingers to point, click, and drag the picture to the matching picture
* Pull up the handwriting page and students can practice writing lines and curves (when they're ready, they can practice writing letters and numbers as well as their names)
* Interactive games that they can use
*Note that everything that they do can be saved and printed for documentation (cool!)

I am not quite I understand what smartboard is. Is it same as or similar to overhead projectors but it allows you to write/draw on erasable-type board?

It is a whiteboard (the kind you draw on with markers) but it is interactive as it is hooked to the PC. Imagine your PC projected onto a whiteboard. What you see on the PC right now is what you will see on the Smartboard. The Smartboard has 4 electronic markers (4 different colors). You can pick one up...and "draw" on the Smartboard. When you look on your PC...what you drew on the Smartboard actually will show up on the PC as well. Then there's an "eraser" that you can use to erase the scribbing.

Imagine you pulled up ALLDeaf on the PC. That image is on the Smartboard as well. You can stand at the Smartboard and use your finger to click on the buttons. You can go to the software program that is similar to the PowerPoint except it is way better. You can capture what is on the Internet page (taking a picture of it) and transfer it onto the Smart program. Then you can make pages with what you need to present to the class. There are so many pictures, fonts, pages, etc. that can be used.

I wish I knew how to use Youtube so I can show you what I do in class. :/

I hope someone else can explain this better.

[yt]etBpUcNGVlU[/yt]

That's an example of what smartboard is. It's basically a giant touch screen, ya know?

Thank you, S!! :D

All of you who are watching this YouTube, stick with it until the end because there's some cool stuff at the ending!

That's interesting. I never heard of smartboard until Seq put in a youtube video. That would be more visual to see on smartboard. :)

What things you can do with a Smartboard?

Preschool-age students:
* Develop a program where students match upper case letters to upper case letters, upper and lower case letters, numbers, shapes, and colors...they can use their fingers to point, click, and drag the picture to the matching picture
* Pull up the handwriting page and students can practice writing lines and curves (when they're ready, they can practice writing letters and numbers as well as their names)
* Interactive games that they can use
*Note that everything that they do can be saved and printed for documentation (cool!)

Are these too expensive to use for home use, like in teaching your kids or grandkids?

Thanks Seq, now I fully understand how smartboards works. :)

My college have one. But I not sure if there Gallaudet University? I will find out. :) I like that. :D

I agree with you...I cant imagine teaching without a Smartboard since getting one installed in my classroom. Since it was installed, my students' math scores have improved because they are so much more motivated and can apply the skills they learned in a variety of interactive activities on the Smartboard which helps them retain the skills as opposed as learning them and then forgetting them a week later.

I have created so many lesson plans using the Smartboard and now the curriculm coordinator wants me to make a file of them to share with the other teachers. LOL!

Back