Airports!! I hate them.

lostandtryingmybest

Reaction score
Ugh... I'll be happy if I never have to fly again.

I ended up getting disability services for a few reasons, blah blah details. Point is, clearly, I have trouble with things.
Apparently no one thought hearing would be one of them, because security started cracking down on me for "not complying"... you know, I guess until they put two and two together, with me generally looking confused and understanding people's hands much better than their mouths. Not that anyone was legitimately signing, but you know the condescending way people gesture and point when they're annoyed you can't figure something out? There was a lot of that.

I got through in the end, but that was one of the hardest things I've done... maybe it'd be a good idea to get some kind of HOH pin.

Did they provide you a wheelchair after telling them that you're deaf? I get that almost all the times. smh!

Nah, I have a lot going on so I did actually need it! I guess whoever explained it when setting things up in advance (one of my things is I can't really talk) either didn't mention it, or it just got glossed over among the "more important" things.
Still, I'm frustrated that the conclusion they jumped to was "non-compliant"… they took my main means of communication to send it through the screening system, and couldn't understand my other one. I had no way to ask "Literally what are you people saying and what is even happening right now?!"
Trying to remember what I was even hearing, I can't - my brain couldn't distinguish or understand any of it, it was just a "featureless blob" of sound. I was confused and upset, and for some reason different language makes people assume the worst instead of just, I dunno, a person being a person?

Can you read English reasonably well? Having Live Transcribe on an Android phone (or other similar apps on an Android or iPhone) might might really help you get what is being said to you. Google Live Transcribe and you will get a lot more information about it than I can write here.

Back