*Ahem*

ever heard of Deaf English?

i do know what you mean. i am a person who was raised in a very grammaticly correct home. it was very important to my family to sound "intelligent." i don't think that grammar is the mark of intelligence, because it is not. i could see how as an english teacher that this would be very bothersome indeed. ha but don't let it drive you too crazy. i read a lot, so i am pretty good with words. i am big into literature. could it be that just like in the hearing world, the more people read, the more versed they are with grammar? just a thought. also i do know that some of the people on here are not as fluent in english because it is not their first language. i am probably making you crazy right now to, what with my lack of capitalization. haha. not when i write in handwriting, but when i type i just let capitalization go out the window. :) also i am probably very often inserting commas in a technically inaproppriate. :D ha. i insert them where i pause in my speech. i type like how i talk, a pause represented by inserting commas, for emphasis, or for a slight in change of subject or concept within the sentance. i am aware that is is technically wrong... but i do it anyway because i feel it is more accurate and more like humans communicate, be it oral language or sign language but enough about me and my "inapropriate" use of commas...
i think that while it could be viewed as important to be grammaticly correct, to be seen as intelligent, i think this is a false interpration... i think that grammar is important only if we make it important but then by those standards it is just a personal preferance by an individual, of what they feel the appropriate way to communicate is. ya know what i mean? i would say the importance of communication is to be understood... not about how we phrase things. so if someone is not speaking 100% correctly but i can still understand the content of the message that they are trying to convey then there is no real problem. the wieght of a persons character is measured by the content of their soul. :) there are many of these societaly correct concepts that we view as so important that i feel will only serve to alienate and distance ourselves form each each other and will not bring us to coexisting in unity.
i am just another you, and you are just another me... so that being said, does it really matter if in the grand scheme of things if we mix up a few little words here and there? probably not.
but i also agree with you that it is nice for people to speak and write articulately. ha so basicly i have just agreed with you and disagreed with you all in the same post. :) haha

lol, yes i can see the point, its a round-about way to avoid audism, that is showing status with superiority of the hearing -perfectionised- English. Also which a slant of rebellion but with a mindful reckoning that its all about the importance of being understood, put differently having correct structure of sentence isnt about phrase correction it should/would be held the idea that to ensure we are understood. Understanding is different from uppity. nice explanation zoomzipboom. About capitalisation, i tend to use it when i want to emphasise, this sometimes means SHOUTING lol or yelling or screaming or just getting indeed just making sure the reader on the other side see the main crux of the argument. see you fairly new here, welcome to AD

ah, just realised you are hearing (zoomzipboom), but that's ok, and my recent points is still relevant to the 'standards' hmmm, but honesty I do feel more comfortable reading materials with proper grammars but again, it does not mean I will insist on 100% correction, like I do consider the contents is as or more important than its lay out. on the other hand again, its nice to be able to provide fresh insights with clarity, becoming something of a rarity these days, even with hearing people -their standards of grammar is slipping too.

Last edited:
hearing, yes i am. i also, prefer to read grammaticly correct writting when it comes to literature, but it doesn't bother me much on forums... well it does bother me with hearing people because they can hear the correct way to phrase things and partly out of laziness they just don't... ha i don't look down on them or anything like that i just think, "why do you insist on talking like that?"
it is a strange sense of pride for them i think. like "hey. i am going to talk this way because i am above all that fancy shmancy grammar cuz i got redneck pride. them other high sociecty types can talk proper but you wouldn't never catch me talking like that." hee hee.
i am very much kidding. people can speak how they want but pride in ones own ignorance is just silly. ignorance in the sense of "to ignore." many hearing people ignore the set standards of the english language as some strange form of rebellion that they take pride in by playing that they don't know any better when often times they do. it is not cool to pretend to be less smart than you are. intelligence is beautiful.

Using correct grammar and punctuation is a compulsion of mine, but I don't see any reason to inflict that on anyone else. If we had grammar police here, it would make some people feel uncomfortable. I'm on other forums where that happens. I'd rather be inclusive than technically correct.

hearing, yes i am. i also, prefer to read grammaticly correct writting when it comes to literature, but it doesn't bother me much on forums... well it does bother me with hearing people because they can hear the correct way to phrase things and partly out of laziness they just don't... ha i don't look down on them or anything like that i just think, "why do you insist on talking like that?"
it is a strange sense of pride for them i think. like "hey. i am going to talk this way because i am above all that fancy shmancy grammar cuz i got redneck pride. them other high sociecty types can talk proper but you wouldn't never catch me talking like that." hee hee.
i am very much kidding. people can speak how they want but pride in ones own ignorance is just silly. ignorance in the sense of "to ignore." many hearing people ignore the set standards of the english language as some strange form of rebellion that they take pride in by playing that they don't know any better when often times they do. it is not cool to pretend to be less smart than you are. intelligence is beautiful.
I know the feeling.

When it comes to e-mails and online messages like blogs, forums, social networking sites, etc... I'm picky about my grammar and spelling (99% of the time). I might intentionally misspell a few words like "kewl", "OMG", "WTF", "wazzup", etc... but overall, I'm picky.

The only time I don't really care is when I'm on AIM. The only time I'm on AIM is when I'm on my Sidekick and I don't have time to sit there making sure everything I typed is perfect while the other person sits there waiting for my response. ;)

Webexplorer, it took me only a half a century to read your post above, lol!

DBG, I know what you mean as I have made similar offers a couple of times in the past on this very board and I got an earful and have since grown accustomed to what you're seeing here now. Without getting into it, I have seen, weighed, etc, the wisdom of letting it lie......Good to see ya, btw.

I could not imagine that naisho has the most interesting to write on his posts. I wouldn't able to catch up to read his long posts. Sorry! He is not the only one... He should get his Nobel Prize award. Smile.

hey, could you lead me to this post you mentioned? what was the title or thread?
I'm interested to read it, thanks :)

Oh, geez.

I should cease posting on AD because I struggle with verbal plurality (is versus are, have versus have, were versus was)?

:P Just saying.

Oh the woes of a perfectionist... nothing is worse than being perfectly aware of all the mistakes you make, but trying to stop oneself from being obsessive about it.

Back