Advice On Starting College

katerina226

Reaction score
I've been severely hard of hearing since the age of seven. My hearing is so minimal though, that I've always identified myself as being deaf. I've either been home schooled, or attended a deaf school for almost all of my life. Now I'm starting at a regular college at the end of the month and I'm really scared. I'm going to have a sign language interpreter but I'm afraid everyone will avoid me because of it. Will I be made fun of? Will anyone want to be friends with me, or will it be too much effort to talk to me? Does anyone have any advice about going to a hearing college?

hearing college

Good to know you are in a hearing college. It takes a little more effort to get into the social part of campus life but from my experience it is not going to be as bad as you think.
I assume you are going to a 4 year college and not a comunity college. Having a terp in your class will more likely fansinate your classmates more than put them off. Of course there will be some who will object and even the teacher may not feel comfortable with the terp.
It will also depend on your personality. Are you extroverted or introverted? Myself I am extroverted at work so I won't get lost among the hearing people but outside of work I tend to be introverted, even with other deaf.
So I guess what I am saying is that your personality will play a role in your acceptance. But,,, you are at the age where your perosnality can develope most

I go to a hearing college. People might ask questions about the terp, but I doubt you'll get many (if at all) mean questions or anything of that sort.

College is more diverse and you see all different kinds of people, so nothing is really too shocking. If they ask questions, they might just be curious what the terp does for you, if you can sign and speak, etc. If you get any rude people, ignore them. They'll be in the minority though, I'm sure.

I personally use a captionist because I'm not fluent in ASL. I've had questions and curious comments, but never anything negative. However, I find it really hard to pay attention now (I'm in my second year) because I know the captionist will type it for me, and it's so hard to follow the teacher myself. I'm considering transferring to Gallaudet, where I'll be forced to pay attention and be more interested, as well the fact that I'll be around others like me.

You'll see if you like it your first semester, and if not, you can always transfer somewhere else.

EDIT: I have no social issues at my university, since the above poster mentioned that. I've got friends and such, so I don't think you'll need to worry much about meeting new people or anything so long as they are aware of your needs.

I go to a hearing college. People might ask questions about the terp, but I doubt you'll get many (if at all) mean questions or anything of that sort.

College is more diverse and you see all different kinds of people, so nothing is really too shocking. If they ask questions, they might just be curious what the terp does for you, if you can sign and speak, etc. If you get any rude people, ignore them. They'll be in the minority though, I'm sure.

I personally use a captionist because I'm not fluent in ASL. I've had questions and curious comments, but never anything negative. However, I find it really hard to pay attention now (I'm in my second year) because I know the captionist will type it for me, and it's so hard to follow the teacher myself. I'm considering transferring to Gallaudet, where I'll be forced to pay attention and be more interested, as well the fact that I'll be around others like me.

You'll see if you like it your first semester, and if not, you can always transfer somewhere else.

EDIT: I have no social issues at my university, since the above poster mentioned that. I've got friends and such, so I don't think you'll need to worry much about meeting new people or anything so long as they are aware of your needs.

not gonna go to Yale?

I've been severely hard of hearing since the age of seven. My hearing is so minimal though, that I've always identified myself as being deaf. I've either been home schooled, or attended a deaf school for almost all of my life. Now I'm starting at a regular college at the end of the month and I'm really scared. I'm going to have a sign language interpreter but I'm afraid everyone will avoid me because of it. Will I be made fun of? Will anyone want to be friends with me, or will it be too much effort to talk to me? Does anyone have any advice about going to a hearing college?

first of all - college is not like elementary school where kids get get cruel with teasing and making fun of you. I've had terp service since HS all the way to college. no problem. nobody avoided me. I've made friends with them.

since your hearing is nearly gone - interacting with hearing people (outside classes) will be tough... no doubt. You may feel out of place. You may want to consider looking into hearing college with deaf program like Boston College or RIT/NTID or California State University Northridge.

My son attends a hearing college. The socialization aspects are far easier in college than in a mainstream high school or middle school. Most college students have matured a bit, and are far more accepting of differences. Their interest is sincere. At younger ages, kids are in a developmental stage of searching for their own identity, and that tends to make the unaccepting of anyone who is different in any way.

The best advise I can give you is to be a strong advocate for your own needs. No one will do it for you at the college level. It is mandatory that you learn what your rights are and be assertive is asking for your needs to be addressed.

Good luck!

After bit of culture shock, I loved my hearing college years, I had notetaker all the way through, did make a lot of friends (some of them who I still see occassionally since we left college 10 years ago), they were so interested in seeing why I need notetaker and if my notetaker didn't turn up for a reason they all want to be my notetaker for the lesson... so I had fun time. I had to push for notetaker as I cannot lipread and write stuff down at same time, they wanted to provide BSL signer for me but after just leaving 6 years of Oral deaf schooling, I found BSL hard so opted for Notetaker but I had to push for it until I was red in the face! You need to stand on your 2 feet and ask for what you need.

not gonna go to Yale?

That's for law school. I might go to Gally to finish out for my BA. :) But it's cool that you remembered!

See, OP, everyone agrees that people are much more accepting in college, so you have nothing to worry about as far as that goes!

That's for law school. I might go to Gally to finish out for my BA. :) But it's cool that you remembered!

See, OP, everyone agrees that people are much more accepting in college, so you have nothing to worry about as far as that goes!

why not just finish it at your current college? or.. did I forget that you're not in college yet? :lol:

Nooopee I'm in college! And because:

1. I have two more years of it, and I don't really want to be bored and lost for the next two years.
2. I want to learn ASL more.
3. It would actually be cheaper than the rising tuition at my own university WITH my scholarship. :(

Nooopee I'm in college! And because:

1. I have two more years of it, and I don't really want to be bored and lost for the next two years.
2. I want to learn ASL more.
3. It would actually be cheaper than the rising tuition at my own university WITH my scholarship. :(

really? that expensive? You in private or state college? You should ask your state VR to pay for it. They will.

From what I see - http://gallaudet.edu/af/Documents/finance_schedule_fall_2010_spring_2011.pdf, it costs about $12k a year at Gally. My state school was about $8k a year.

I'm in a state college. My VR won't pay for it because my parents don't economically qualify for it, even though they don't make a lot of money. Plus I'm considered dependent on them until I'm 24, according to their rules.

I read somewhere else it cost $10k a year to go to Gally, but I might have to look into it more.

Sorry for sort of hijacking your thread, OP!

I'm in a state college. My VR won't pay for it because my parents don't economically qualify for it, even though they don't make a lot of money. Plus I'm considered dependent on them until I'm 24, according to their rules.

I read somewhere else it cost $10k a year to go to Gally, but I might have to look into it more.

Sorry for sort of hijacking your thread, OP!

You can petition to be listed as an independent student. That will affect the VR decision. Your current school's financial aid office can help you with the process of declaring yourself an independent student. I have known many who have done this successfully.

I used ASL interpreters for the first time in university myself :)

In my case I had small class sizes, and for all but one class we were all the same "group" for each class (same students, different prof meeting once a week for 4hours at a time) - so we all knew each other very well. In my other class, it was still a small class with less than 30people in it, including all the members of my "weekly class"- however we only saw each other once a month (all year long) so we didn't get to know the "extras" in that class as much.

Although none of my classmates, or professors had ever worked with (or in some cases seen!) and interpreter before ... they were all GREAT! Everyone was very accepting and helpful, they didn't avoid me at all ... in fact I found that a lot of people were very interested in talking to me during breaks to learn more about how "it worked" and more about what it was like to be Hoh/Deaf.

In my case I decided to voice for myself almost all the time (except the week I had laryngitis lol!) during class and at breaks so my interpreters' (I had two that traded off during class) job was to interpreter into ASL everything that the professor and students said in class. I elected to voice for myself for a number of reasons:

1) I have a very hearing voice (blessing & a curse!) which is easily understood and carries well (can be heard across a classroom)

2) Because I'm able to speak clearly .. and because none of my classmates or profs had used or seen interpreters before (and had no idea how interpreting "worked") I felt that it would be an easier introduction to using ASL interpretors for them. This way they "knew" that what I was saying was really what I was saying (not the interpreters themselves "participating like a student", if that makes sense).

2) I have permanent injuries from a car accident that causes severe chronic pain in my shoulder (often making extensive signing painful) and muscle pain and weakness that impacts my fine motor skills (which means that my fingerspelling is either slow & clear, or standard "Deaf speed" but "loose"/"fuzzy"... neither of which works well in the classes I was taking where many on the terms had to be fingerspelled)

One thing that I arranged with the Prof and my interpreters was to do a very brief "intro on having 'terps in the classroom". Basically we took 5mins at the beginning of the first class of the course and explained very briefly who the interpreters where, what they are they to do, how to "use" the interpreters (ie they aren't students, when talking to me, the hoh person direct the question/statement directly to me ie "Anij, do you know the answer to ... " not "ask Anij if she knows the answer to.." etc) If anyone had any specific questions, they wrote them down and at break handed them to me, then my interpreters and I went through all the questions and either answered them individually or (with the permission of the prof) quickly answered them when break was over before re-starting the class. Students and profs always knew if they had any questions about the interpreters, or (because I offered) ASL, or being Hoh/Deaf that they could ask me during break or before/after class. This worked very well because it took any of the "oddness" out of the situation - I was willing to explain things, so there was no need to "whisper behind my back" or make assumptions etc about anything. I had some very good questions - many from my profs, regarding deaf education, using 'terps, hearing loss, deaf culture etc.
At the end of my courses ALL my classmates and profs had very positive comments about the entire process and said that it really opened their eyes to how both interpreters worked, but also eliminated any "prejudices" they may have thought about Hoh/Deaf ASL people before (because clearly with my interpreters I was able to follow and contribute in an intelligent way to the class).
Many of my classmates actually said thank you to my interpreters for being there, interpreting the class, making the class accessible to me and teaching them (the hearing students) literally life changing lessons regarding the importance of qualifiedinterpreters being available in the classroom for all Hoh/Deaf/SI students, as well as erasing a lot of the preconceived "limiting" ideas/assumptions they might have held about the ability of Hoh/Deaf people to fully participate (functionally, socially and intellectually) in a "standard hearing class". It was an AWESOME experience for everyone!I know for certain that because I was so open about the entire situation and I know for certain that when any of those people run into Hoh/Deaf ASLers or ASL interpreters in the future that they will simply see "normal people using a different language" ... and see possibility , not disability.

P.S. I know that according to the ADA and other "privacy acts" that the identity of the person using interpreters, note-takers etc is allowed to remain confidential ... however I've ALWAYS made the choice to let my classmates and profs know that I am Hoh, use an ASL interpreter and notetaker and that if they (the classmates or prof) have any questions about the process or about hearing loss I would be more than happy to help answer any question to the best of my ability. I find that in doing so it shows that I have nothing to hide (thus no reason to talk behind my back etc) ... I also feel that if I am open and honest, it will make the experiences of any Hoh/Deaf in the future better and easier ... because I've helped "break the ice" and "dispel myths" about ASL, interpreters, hearing loss etc.

One thing that has made communication between Hoh/Deaf and hearing students MUCH easier is the extensive use of texting !!

While communicating with classmates while the interpreter is around will be fairly straightforward ... when the terp isn't there you have to be a bit more creative. I seems like your English is good - which is a huge bonus ... because it gives hearing students an easy way to chat with you ... by text !

I know hearing people routinely text each other from the other side of the same room ... so when you're getting to know people suggest texting back and forth as an easy, "fool proof" means of communication - as least at the start (if you get to be good friends and they're interested you could start showing them some common ASL phrases etc).

Most of the time, I've found that as long as you, the Hoh/Deaf person can suggest a realistic communication strategy that hearing people will be happy to chat with you. Cell/mobile phones with email and unlimited text plans & laptop/netbooks with wi-fi have all made communication between Hoh/Deaf and hearing people -especially university students (almost all of whom are armed with cells/mobiles & /or netbooks/laptops) SO much easier than even 5 years ago!

As others have said... thankfully University is not like jr high/middle school & high school. University students for the most part have matured a lot, and it's certainly not "cool" to "pick on people" especially people who society deems as "disabled" (even though I don't consider being HOh/Deaf a disability per say ...).

For me entering University was like entering an entirely different world (for the better). For the first time in my life I had access to interpreters .... and my classmates quickly saw me as not only an "equal" but someone they wanted as a friend (I was a loner in HS). Over all it was a great experience :)

Last edited:
From the interpreter perspective:

College students don't pay much attention to the terps, and they don't tease deaf students.

Whether or not you make friends depends on your personality. I've seen some deaf students with lots of of hearing friends at college, and others who keep to themselves.

Texting and emails help bridge the communication gap. One deaf student used note writing with hearing students and was very popular (especially with the opposite sex). A pleasant attitude and smile doesn't hurt either.

You get out of an education as much as you put into it. Come to class prepared (read the assignments ahead of time), show up on time, and don't skip any classes.

Advocate for yourself. Get all the services you need, and take advantage of free tutoring. Be proactive and ask questions.

Best wishes to you in your college career. :)

I agree with Reba - Make sure that you set aside enough time to really read through all the assigned homework,reading etc - and make sure that you are remebering what you read (if you are having trouble student services will have people that can help you learn good study skills for university (they're different than HS)

Also make absolutely sure that you take advantage of all the "free extras" available to you in terms of educational support such as tutors etc!!

If you find that you have trouble focusing on homework or that people where you are living distract you etc, many universities/colleges have "study corrals" which are rooms with individual study spots you rent. They are like a desk with short "walls" on each side and in front of you so that you can really focus on doing studying without distractions. Sometimes they are free if you are a full-time student with school "membership" other times they cost a little bit of money. If you don't have a place that you can study well ... they are a really really good idea.

Sign up for free tutoring and make sure that you are able to get interpreters if needed for the sessions - at least the first few until you are comfortable with a communication method (bringing a laptop if available would be great for typing messages back and forth that you'd be able to save to review later. This would be helpful if they were explaining how to do something, because that way you can review their explanation back at home/dorm so you don't forget anything.

My big suggestion is don't wait until you NEED tutors to step them up , just have them from the start so that you can stay caught up in class and maybe eve a bit ahead (making following along in class even easier)

1) talk to JennyB.. she's got tons of experience and stories!
2) if your college has ASL classes, try volunteering.. then you can meet other students who are interested in learning ASL; you will probably find some friends there!
3) are you living in residence? If so, it will be hard at first, but don't shy away from events. That is where you will meet people. Most people are fascinated by ASL and love to learn a few signs. Do you speak? If so it will be a bit easier, but not impossible if you don't. A bit thing in College residences is to eat together; go down with your floor/hall and get to know everyone over food. It may be hard if they talk with their mouths full, but don't be afraid to speak up and say you don't understand!
If you are living off campus, make sure you go to events! You will be lonely if you don't make friends. It will be hard, but honestly, its hard for everyone! Get facebook and give it out to people who seem nice but may be nervous about talking to you face-to-face. College students LIVE on facebook anyway, so it's not much different if you are deaf/HOH/hearing!
4) think about starting your own ASL club once you find a few people who are interested.
hope this helps!!!
What school are you going to?
*EQL*

Another thing to help make friends is to talk to the disability services for Hoh/deaf (DS/DHH) caseworker/staff and ask if there are other Hoh/Deaf or Speech impaired/SI students etc who use ASL etc.

They won't be able to give you other students names (due to privacy) however YOU can ask the DSDHH person to give your name out to THEM saying that you are looking to meet some people, that you're new to the school and that you use ASL (etc). You can give them your email address, or phone number etc - whatever works best for you. (I'd recommend allowing DS/DHH dept to give out your FIRST name & LAST initial, but not whole last name - just for "privacy"/security since you won't know any of the people etc)

One really neat idea is setting up a separate free gmail email account that you give to your new school friends etc - that way anyone that sends you email to that address you know "Who they are" (ie they're from the school & got your email from the DSDHH staff or a D/HH/SI student there) . It might be better to not have your complete last name as part of the email address, just so people don't have too much private information before you meet them etc ... if that makes sense?

HTH

Kat, ditto to what everyone else has said. College kids are way more mature then high schoolers. Except for the Yah Dudes (aka fratboys) I do second someone else's suggestion to maybe look into colleges with significent populations of dhh kids. At smaller colleges itcan be hard to get good accomondations (just b/c they're not experianced with dealing with dhh kids) It can also be a bit easier to socialize with other dhh kids.

Back