Advice from Deaf and interpreters please

Southern

Reaction score
I began learning ASL recently and in 7 weeks have learned about 1,000 signs. I learned from a friend who loaned me his book and we met once a week to go over what i learned from the previous week. Being with my Deaf friend helps of course and i improve my spead everytime i am with him. I love ASL!!!! Now i am going to go to college to learn more, maybe become an interpreter. All of the Deaf people i have met are patient and sign in english sentence structure rather than ASL. I know that this is for my benifit and i appreciate their kindness. I read when people post in ASL and it is difficult for me to understand, although i get the gist of what is being said. I know i will learn this in school but until that time could you give me some advice. I want to improve and right now i am at a ceiling, until the classes start. I want to become better than i am today and this is one more thing i need to learn. Could you give me any direction, helpful hints? I appreciate it!!!

I just found your post, and this is WAY late. If you're planning on being an interpreter my advice is this: Don't forget to study your OWN language. For interpreters it's helpful to be an excellent speller and you need to know English grammar PERFECTLY so that when you voice for Deaf people you don't make them sound less intelligent than they are. Studying your own language and being an expert in English is JUST as important as becoming fluent in ASL. Good luck! Feel free to ask me any questions as they come up.

Back