Advice for teaching wife and kids?

GHalt

Reaction score
Hello!

I grew up with deaf friends in high school and into college and learned sign language over the period of a few years (even took ASL at the local community college).

That was (censored) years ago. ;) To say I'm a bit rusty is like saying the ocean is a bit wet.

I go to a small church and there's one deaf boy there. I noticed his mom signing to him, and introduced myself to her and to him. I warned them that I was rusty (although I think being around him will help me pick it up again, like riding a bike...muscle memory and all). But I offered to help since VERY few people in the church sign. So I'll be hanging out in Sunday School with him, and just general hangin' out at church from time to time.

Well, this got me thinking about my family. I'd love it if they would learn sign while I'm refreshing it myself, and I'd love for our family to be a safe, comfortable, inviting place to visit for this young man to visit. So I was thinking of doing something to get my wife and kids to learn sign language.

I came across Rocket Languages - ASL, which looked VERY cool due to all the videos, etc. But didn't know if anyone here had seen that or what they thought about it. I'd love to find something casual (don't want to send my wife to night school lol). And my kids are 5 and 2. I think my 2-yr-old would just pick it up from us doing it around the house. (We already have taught her the basics: milk, please, mom, dad, more, etc....just to help with her ability to let us know what she needs. It worked well with my now-5 son.

Is that sign course helpful? Are there others like it?

Also Google ASL University; it's a great site to receive real human visual instruction and not just 2D pictures in a book. GOOD LUCK!!! Let us know how it goes for your family and your relationship with the boy at church...also if interested look into Deaf Missions. :D

Your short story just touched my heart. It is not too often that us deaf people see hearing people go out of their way to take those steps.

All the other member had good suggestions. My suggestion would be go to deaf events or socials especially the ones that involved the whole family so that way your wife and kids can be exposed to an ASL environment?

Your short story just touched my heart. It is not too often that us deaf people see hearing people go out of their way to take those steps.

I know Shel!! You are just absolute correct!

I hate it when I read stories that touch my heart and gets me all emotional including tears swept down from my eyes. (It doesn't mean I really do hate it) but you get my point. It's the most touching story I've ever read in a long ass time.

GHalt-- You have such a great heart, bless your heart. :hug: I'm with Shel, spend more time in the deaf community and meet many deaf people to pick up more signs, and bring your whole family along, they'll have fun!! :)

GHalt... the Rocket ASL looks pretty good, and I might give it a try.

My ASL instructor also told me about Signing Online, along with the sites Reba mentioned. I don't think we can have too many avenues for learning ASL. I think it's good to utilize as many as possible to be exposed to regional differences.

Back