Advice for Studying ASL

aladinhislamp

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm starting an ASL class from ground zero in September, and I'm really excited and also very nervous about it. Even though I've studied other languages before to pretty high levels of fluency (I lived in Japan for 10 years and speak Japanese quite well), I'm worried about a few things. First, I'm kind of uncoordinated, so I don't know if that will affect my ability to learn sign. I mean, one of the things that appeals to me about ASL is that it's so physical--to me it almost looks like a kind of ballet (don't know if that makes any sense)--but for that same reason I worry that I'm coming in with a very big deficit (repeat: totally uncoordinated!). Second, I don't know how long it takes before you can really express yourself in the language, and I really want to be able to communicate with people. Last, my class will be full immersion, which I know is the best and most effective way to learn a language. But I'm wondering what happens if you don't understand what's going on or how you ask questions if A) you don't know what you don't understand and B) you don't know how to ask the question.

Anyway, long story short, what advice would you give to somebody walking in to an ASL class for the first time? What would you say to help them make the most of the learning?

Cheers, all.:P

Question B, just fingerspell your question and then you can be corrected and taught the part you don't understand.

or write it down, if the teacher allow it, that's how some deaf communicate with hearing.

Don't worry - just enjoy and practice, practice, practice

Learning in a full immersion, voice off environment from a native signer (preferable Deaf or Hoh... or CODA) is not only the best way to learn, it's also very natural to learn that way :)

Teachers have (generally) lots of experience communicating with non-signers and beginning signers - so they know how to make sure you understand, and will teach you how to communicate questions etc even before you're really starting signing (writing on a white/black board first .. then fingerspelling etc.

One thing that is always a good idea is to get a very strong handle on your ASL alphabet as it will connect you to other signers instantly :) There are a number of good websites showing VERY CLEAR video of the ASL alphabet - so you can start practising in advance :)

One site to view the alphabet is: ASL Alphabet

Don't worry - just enjoy and practice, practice, practice

Learning in a full immersion, voice off environment from a native signer (preferable Deaf or Hoh... or CODA) is not only the best way to learn, it's also very natural to learn that way :)

Teachers have (generally) lots of experience communicating with non-signers and beginning signers - so they know how to make sure you understand, and will teach you how to communicate questions etc even before you're really starting signing (writing on a white/black board first .. then fingerspelling etc.

One thing that is always a good idea is to get a very strong handle on your ASL alphabet as it will connect you to other signers instantly :) There are a number of good websites showing VERY CLEAR video of the ASL alphabet - so you can start practising in advance :)

One site to view the alphabet is: ASL Alphabet

Awesome advice, Anij. THANK YOU!!! :ty:

Happy to help - let us know how classes go :)

I was able to teach myself sign language but had interpreters in high school and college- those interpreters corrected some of my signs as well as taught me new ones in the educational setting. Learning to communicate totally in ASL has helped me especially when making new friends who are deaf or deafblind. In the deafblind community, most of us do use sign language and if not sign language, Braille is another medium. Some people do not use either and have to write or use another tactile form of communication.

Sign language for deafblind people is a tad different due to limited vision and hearing or total deafness and blindness etc.

Just remember that everyone in your class is learning from the very beginning. Most people don't become humiliated as everyone is starting at the same point. Please don't worry if you don't understand something or need things to be repeated. Everyone is in the same boat as you.
Most teachers and students are willing to help and maybe you can set up a study group or attend deaf chats to be immersed in sign language whether signed English or ASL or mixture of both. Its a way to communicate and an awesome way in my opinion.
Also- most hearing people communicate on a basic language as far as natural signs that show basic meaning or emotions..it helps to remember that.

Please take care and let us know how it goes.

Also I study Japanese as well as the signed language (Shuwa) and Braille code (Tenji). Very nice to meet another person with experience in Nihongo..

Hajimemashiteh!

-Crystal

I was able to teach myself sign language but had interpreters in high school and college- those interpreters corrected some of my signs as well as taught me new ones in the educational setting. Learning to communicate totally in ASL has helped me especially when making new friends who are deaf or deafblind. In the deafblind community, most of us do use sign language and if not sign language, Braille is another medium. Some people do not use either and have to write or use another tactile form of communication.

Sign language for deafblind people is a tad different due to limited vision and hearing or total deafness and blindness etc.

Just remember that everyone in your class is learning from the very beginning. Most people don't become humiliated as everyone is starting at the same point. Please don't worry if you don't understand something or need things to be repeated. Everyone is in the same boat as you.
Most teachers and students are willing to help and maybe you can set up a study group or attend deaf chats to be immersed in sign language whether signed English or ASL or mixture of both. Its a way to communicate and an awesome way in my opinion.
Also- most hearing people communicate on a basic language as far as natural signs that show basic meaning or emotions..it helps to remember that.

Please take care and let us know how it goes.

Also I study Japanese as well as the signed language (Shuwa) and Braille code (Tenji). Very nice to meet another person with experience in Nihongo..

Hajimemashiteh!

-Crystal

Thanks a lot for the input, Crystal. I think if I keep my focus on WHY I want to learn (and I've got *lots* of great reasons), instead of worrying about what I might not understand, or how slow I might be, then I'll be fine.

I'd love to hear about your experience with Japan/Japanese, and to know how Shuwa is different from ASL. It's funny how people assume that sign languages are the same around the world (ridiculous, really, when you consider how much language is a vehicle for culture).

どおぞ よろしく!

Back