Administrative Assistant

ClearSky

Reaction score
Are there many jobs in the office dutie field that deaf people can easily find that don't require telephone work?

I mean, I read so many in the ads about needing telephone work. Some may not list them assuming everyone know it's part of the job.

I don't know how easily it is to accommodate this and tell someone else to be in charge of calls.

It seems to me that you'd go to many interviews to find someone that will accommodate the phone part.

Know of someone anyone who easily work in the office field without using telephone? Was it easy to find?

Thanks!

You could probably get that kind of job at the school for the deaf, deaf organisations or some deaf-friendly companies.

True, but that would limit one's choice. What if they're not hiring? Also, what if you want to work elsewhere that's not a school or deaf organization? You may get paid more in other places if you have a goal of earning a better salary.

Telephony position are not common in business administration roles - such as emails are the great inventory in telecommunications.

Are there many jobs in the office dutie field that deaf people can easily find that don't require telephone work?

I mean, I read so many in the ads about needing telephone work. Some may not list them assuming everyone know it's part of the job.

I don't know how easily it is to accommodate this and tell someone else to be in charge of calls.

It seems to me that you'd go to many interviews to find someone that will accommodate the phone part.

Know of someone anyone who easily work in the office field without using telephone? Was it easy to find?

Thanks!

oh yes PLENTY PLENTY. The jobs requiring use of phone..... that's mostly clerical/assistant/tech duty that deals with customers. If there are jobs that require phones - I just avoid it and find another one. They're not going to hire you nor accommodate you for that.

Administrative Assistant: This job title will require you to use telephone. They will ask you to make calls for them or they will ask you to take calls . Assistant jobs requires good communication skills with third parties. When I say good communication skill, I do not only mean being able to hear. Many people who can hear do not have good communication skills.

-

My friend got that position, and answering phones wasn't necessary. As long as you went to school for that clerical stuff, it may give you an edge in this field. My friend did and got the job easily. It may not be the case with all companies, though.

:wave: In England - Reasonable adjustments in the workplace
Under the Disability Discrimination Act, your employer has a duty to make 'reasonable adjustments' to make sure you're not put at a substantial disadvantage by employment arrangements or any physical feature of the workplace.

Examples of the sort of adjustments your employer should consider, in consultation with you, include:

* allocating some of your work to someone else
* transferring you to another post or another place of work
* making adjustments to the buildings where you work
* being flexible about your hours - allowing you to have different core working hours and to be away from the office for assessment, treatment or rehabilitation
* providing training
* providing modified equipment
* making instructions and manuals more accessible
* providing a reader or interpreter

:hmm: I'm sure ADA is similar to ours. Maybe it is worth for you to contact to The Equality and Human Rights Commission or whatever you call it to find out what is your rights.

I'm working for the Government and they provide me everything I need for my job. If the job that requires lots of phone calls (Contact centre), then it is not good idea to apply.

Good Luck! :bye:

Administrative Assistant: This job title will require you to use telephone. They will ask you to make calls for them or they will ask you to take calls . Assistant jobs requires good communication skills with third parties. When I say good communication skill, I do not only mean being able to hear. Many people who can hear do not have good communication skills.

-

Not necessairly.

There are many aspects of Administrative assistants that doesn't require the use of telephone.

There are many deaf that have better communication skills than their hearing counterparts.

Depending on the company, you may not have to answer the phones. :)

I guess it depends. It's just that many jobs require it when I read the newspaper classified for jobs.

Many of the require you to do taking, screening and receiving calls.

The ADA do list reasonable accommodations. If it won't cost them a lot of money than they can afford to accommodate you. If it's not a main part of the job and someone else could do it.

I don't think that a job will accommodate you if it's a heavy part of the job. E-mail is used, but phone calls are still used heavily.

A degree will likely get you in the door, but discrimination's real despite the ADA.

The thing is that not all ads state phone use, and so you end up going to interviews that will require phone use. I think it's a waste of time to attend interviews just to find out if phone use is going to be used. It's usually not a good idea to ask before an interview if phone use is required because they'll easily say it is required, which sucks.

I have tried to look for work in office, but I always end up seeing that phone is needed or afraid a certain ad that's not completely clear on what they require may turn out to require phone calls. Maybe if one gets a degree, there might be a wider option because most of the clerical work don't require a degree if you are naturally good at organization and communication skills.

How about Medical Billing/Coding? I know this normally requires a degree. Does that require phone use at all? You read that they just use codes to bill insurance properly. So, do they need to make phone calls or is it just paper work? Anyone know?

After reading couple other posts here I am thinking maybe phone usage was required in the fields/industries I have seen, then I apologize for making generalization. Please disregard my previous post , I do not want it to discourage anybody.

Hermes

My friend got that position, and answering phones wasn't necessary. As long as you went to school for that clerical stuff, it may give you an edge in this field. My friend did and got the job easily. It may not be the case with all companies, though.

I used be Administrative Assistant for one and half year til laid off. I do not use the phone and do the all customer service paperworks. There is little of Human Resourse and Mailroom areas. That is sure work out for deaf.

Now I learned that AA must requires having class and more than 3 years expersive area of AA. I was moving my postitions from Mailroom to Administrative Assistant since 3 years.

That is my best years I ever had.

Back