Acredolo and Goodwyn’s rebuttal against Nelson, White and Grewe’s Research

That was very interesting. Thanks for sharing it. The person "Candy," who left a comment on the link you posted, shared what I think, too. Maybe it just means the researchers need to do more and better work in order to prove the obvious to skeptical scholars.

I also expect that people who are selling products might overstate their case sometimes. :Shrug.: I don't think using sign language would improve a hearing child's self esteem or making parents and baby bond better, but other benefits ought to be obvious.

For myself, I don't need research. I just think about these questions:

Is it better for me baby to be able to tell me she's not hungry, she is thirsty, at 6 months, or at one year?

Is it better for my baby to be able to tell me he wants the ball, not the battle, at 8 months old, or at 15 months old?

Do I want to be able to be sure why my baby wants sooner, or later?

The answer to all those questions is the first part of the question- sooner, not later. Obviously, then, I think signing is good for hearing babies.

My daughters could all talk orally very early, before they were one. My son could not talk until after he was two. He did not talk very well at all until he was four. We used a lot of sign with him. I can't imagine how frustrating his life and ours would have been if he hadn't had the communications skills only possible for him with AsL.

Oh, I really like this from the PDF file with the response from Goodwyn, Accredolo and Brown:
. There are times when “common
sense” is enough: The idea that being better able to understand what your child needs
results in less frustration, a better relationship, and feelings of efficacy on the child’s
part seems self-evident.

Well, I should note something...

Lauri Nelson is an Assistant Professor of Psychology at Utah State who is
affiliated with the “Auditory Learning and Spoken Language Program” and
whose publications focus on the value of cochlear implants and auditory
enhancement systems for Deaf children.

Karl White is a Professor of Psychology at Utah State whose career has been devoted to early diagnosis of hearing loss and early intervention. He is founder
of the "Sound Beginnings" program at Utah State, a program that "provides Page 2
home and center-based services to children with hearing loss whose families
want their children to learn to listen and talk." The emphasis is on auditory
enhancement and cochlear implants.

That is why they feel their reviews are pretty unfair because they're probably biased on Oralism-Only belief... So... At least, Drs. Acredolo and Goodwyn responded to them... I wouldn't surprise if they are going to be shot down again. :roll: Like that doesn't matter.

Karissa, I agree, the background of the critical researchers does make me raise my eyebrows and go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm."

Back