A thought on how to save res schools

deafdyke

Reaction score
So I was reading a thread in another forum about how a kid grew up in a very sexually abusive home. I also just got done reading "There Are No Children Here", which is a lit journalism piece about two boys growing up in an inner city housing project. I also remember in Train Go Sorry that one of the kids profiled was a day student and wasn't exactly the best kid in the world. Then he moved to the residence and became a honors student.
Now one of the objections raised to res schools is that they seperate kids from families. Now that's not a great thing when the family is very stable and emotionally healthy and middle/upper class and has a lot of resources (including for example access to a self contained classroom and GOOD EI) I think that in those cases res school should be delayed at least until third or fourth grade (time when kids start having sleepovers)
However, in cases where the family sitution isn't that healthy, wouldn't it be better for the kids to live AWAY from the family? Like at a res school they could have access to stabilty, safety, good healthy relationship models, no threats of violence, etc etc. The dorm parents could serve as foster parents.
(ala the set up that is present in children's homes today)
I just really think that res schools are VERY underutilzed, especially since everyone's so obessed with "family."..............and yes, family is good if you have a GOOD healthy stable family. What about the kids who DON'T? And the kids I'm talking about, are the ones who are from families where the family sitution isn't severe enough to warrent DSS intervention, but yet their living conditions are still really bad. (and I KNOW that most people have NO CLUE whatsoever how bad things are in inner city projects)

Yea I agree...I have observed that myself and I feel that there are some kids who are better off staying in the dorms.

Not only it is because of abuse, there is neglect when the parents dont learn ASL despite it being their children's only language used to communicate. The children end up being completely isolated at their homes playing alone or watching tv without any interaction from their family members. That's why they come to school sharing whatever thoughts they have in such a rapid pace cuz they were unable to share them at home. That is neglect big time.

I agree with both of you. Residential schools can very often be the first place that a child can communicate freely, feels accepted for who he/she is, is allowed to develop healthy peer relationships, and encounters positive adult role models to whom they can relate. It can be, and has been for many, a place of nuturance and respite from the abusive or neglectful situation not just in the home, but of an intolerant and misinformed society. Very, very often, the deaf school, whether the child attends as a day student or a residential student, is the first environment where the deaf child is actually challenged academically to perform to their full potential.

Very good post, dd.

Thanks! It just really really irritates me when people start going on and on about how res schools seperate kids from families. Not all families are good families.....and oh god if those people who yap on and on about how wonderful families are, could see the dysfunction out there................

Sure, I'd like to see that the residential schools stay open but I want to see education pumped up. The states seems to be bent on mainstreaming the deaf kids to save on costs.

Deaf kids can be better off being in the residential school only if the school personnel are screened very carefully. I have heard of sexual abuse in a residential school from a friend that happened in early '60s.

Sure, I'd like to see that the residential schools stay open but I want to see education pumped up. The states seems to be bent on mainstreaming the deaf kids to save on costs.

Deaf kids can be better off being in the residential school only if the school personnel are screened very carefully. I have heard of sexual abuse in a residential school from a friend that happened in early '60s.

Sure, they need to be screened carefully, and the RAs need to be screened especially carefully. Sexual abuse is something that has occurred in the residential schools in the past, and it is a sad part of the history of the deaf residential school. But sexual abuse has also occurred in public day schools, and has been perpetrated against hearing students. That is not to excuse something like that....it is horrible when something like this occurs to any child.

Back