A teacher of the deaf talks about using Cued Speech

I have noticed the same too which is why I dont take those vidoes at face value.

Exactly. They may really believe it really works but really it may not. Like my family really believes that I can understand speech for my whole life, they only just found out that I really can't at all. I have predicted what they are going to say very well cos I know their actions, body language, timing etc cos I know them so well and completely fooled them even though I don't mean to.

Exactly. They may really believe it really works but really it may not. Like my family really believes that I can understand speech for my whole life, they only just found out that I really can't at all. I have predicted what they are going to say very well cos I know their actions, body language, timing etc cos I know them so well and completely fooled them even though I don't mean to.
Hey, you aren't the only one. I did it too. Many deaf children have become so skilled at fooling the grownups about how much they understand for fear of not letting them down. As a result, these grownups tell others that their deaf child is fine in the hearing world without needing ASL or a visual language which leads other families into rejecting ASL for their deaf children. It is an olddddd cycle that keep repeating itself.

Hey, you aren't the only one. I did it too. Many deaf children have become so skilled at fooling the grownups about how much they understand for fear of not letting them down. As a result, these grownups tell others that their deaf child is fine in the hearing world without needing ASL or a visual language which leads other families into rejecting ASL for their deaf children. It is an olddddd cycle that keep repeating itself.

Lol yeah, it is never ending cycle. Problem is some parents expect too much of their Deaf kids to hear and understand well just like that with some training. Also they spend a lot towards speech therpy and some kids may feel like letting them down after they spend on so much money towards it.

Wirelessly posted

souggy said:
Wirelessly posted

Actually... Natty, you just proved jillio right. If they were successful, they wouldn't had dropped cued for ASL.

I wasn't trying to refute her, just simply adding in my two cents! :)

It's very true that in my friend's case, it would not be considered a success if he decided to drop it, but at least he can communicate with his family.

Welcome to my childhood !!

What annoys me about our resident CS spokesperson is the way she thinks that Cued Speech is some sort of universal pancea. It's a good tool yes....Heck maybe you could use it for dyslexic kids to help them learn to read. It's a great tool to help learn to read.....but virtually ALL kids need a more complete toolbox then cueing as a primary language. Heck, the cued speech population is very small. Not to mention that if a kid uses cued speech as a primary language they are limited to using it with only people who are familiar with cued speech.

I don't have any citations, but I have two anecdotes (sorry jillio!). I know of one person who is totally deaf with no CI or anything who grew up cueing. He did well with it until he went to Gally, then dropped CS for ASL. He now just uses it around his family that--to my knowledge--does not know ASL. Otherwise, he uses ASL.

I do know of another person who is totally deaf and was implanted when he was two. He grew up with CS, and dropped it his senior year in high school. He now just speaks. He did well with it also.

I've never cued, personally, so I cannot verify any of that, but those are just two people I know.

LOL. No problem. Anecdote is fine. I only request citations from those that want a reference for every post I make.:lol:

Lol yeah, it is never ending cycle. Problem is some parents expect too much of their Deaf kids to hear and understand well just like that with some training. Also they spend a lot towards speech therpy and some kids may feel like letting them down after they spend on so much money towards it.

I find that really sad. A kid will do whatever they think will please their parent. In a case like this, they try, but always feel like they fall short. That plays havok with their self esteem. Meanwhile, the parents don't have a clue as to what is really going on with their kid, because the kid is busting their ass to please Mom and Dad, and the parent won't take off the rose colored glasses long enough to see the reality of the situation. The child is made responsible for Mom and Dad's happiness, and learns that love is conditional. Way wrong!

Here's his blog. He talks about being a CI users who is oral and cues, but also uses ASL.

The deaf boy in the world...

The most inspiring thing of all is that he says that being deaf is a part of his identity. No doubt that is why he uses ASL.

Doesn't say what situations he uses for cuing. No doubt, he doesn't use it as a commmunication mode.

The most inspiring thing of all is that he says that being deaf is a part of his identity. No doubt that is why he uses ASL.

Doesn't say what situations he uses for cuing. No doubt, he doesn't use it as a commmunication mode.

He uses a transliterator instead of an interpreter for his college classes. I believe he posted about the fight he had to go through to get one. His partner uses ASL, but he said that it isn't his prefered mode of communication.

I know couple of two who used CS. They used it only with teachers and parents but not for their social life. They use ASL in their workfield though.

He uses a transliterator instead of an interpreter for his college classes. I believe he posted about the fight he had to go through to get one. His partner uses ASL, but he said that it isn't his prefered mode of communication.

There you go. He uses CS as a tool for educational purposes. That is what it was intended for. Thanks for confirming what we are all (or most of us, anyway:giggle:) are saying.

Back