A quilt survey..

D

Deaf258

Hey peeps,

With Christmas coming up, I have decided to make some ragged quilts and would like to ask you some questions..

1. Would you buy a ragged quilt 2 yards by 2 1/2 yards?

2. How much do you think it would be worth in $$$?

3. Do you or you know someone who might want to buy one?

Let me know the answers soon! ;)

Deaf258

P.S. That 2 by 2.5 yards is a lap sized quilt which is a little smaller than twin sized blanket and a little bigger than a baby sized blanket.

Here in Ontario, Canada.. there's a Mennonite community in St. Jacob's that makes quilts and sells it in Farmer's Market that I go to frequently. People do make long distance trips to St. Jacobs during the week except for Sundays as it is their Sabbatical day to buy quilts. Their prices ranges from $250.00 to $2000.00. Yes, I've even seen one worth $2000.00 and I thought it was worth every cent! Keep in mind that some of you may say "Whoa.. too much!!", but the price does include materials and labour. The $2000.00 quilt I saw was definitely one I wouldn't put on the bed!! It'd be for a wall hanging! Ohhh Deaf258.. KingCobra already saw the wonderful handiwork of the Mennonites! You'll hafta see it! *winksa*

deaf258? are you planning to make those?
if so.. woohoo.. i have been making quilts all my life.. with crocheting
and made quilts out from old jeans (all my kids plus garage sale-free).. cut them into pieces and sew them up! ;)

anyway your question.. how much cost? I dont buy fabric for long time so i dont know how much.. I always sew things from left overs like.. worn out sheets or covers.. clothes.. hehe..

MsGiglz said:
deaf258? are you planning to make those?
if so.. woohoo.. i have been making quilts all my life.. with crocheting
and made quilts out from old jeans (all my kids plus garage sale-free).. cut them into pieces and sew them up! ;)

anyway your question.. how much cost? I dont buy fabric for long time so i dont know how much.. I always sew things from left overs like.. worn out sheets or covers.. clothes.. hehe..

Gee, aren't you being such a mother on the prairie? ;) No worries about that!!! LOL! I do that also whenever I have no fabric and a lot of ripped material. It's be a long while I use home scraps now that I have a large, growing collection of fabrics enough to make 15 more blankets!! If you don't believe how much fabrics I have now, ask dear ol' Kootchie! He is bitching about how much sewing stuff I have with me. I also have a denim blanket that is larger than king size comforter! I am thinking about cutting it apart again and convert it into smaller picnic blankets with backings. I plan on selling those denim picnic blankets to my brothers and sisters. If I have an extra one, I will be sure to post it for sale before I go off to ebay it. I do make some quilts out of scraps, but the ones I am doing are from new fabrics. Oh, Hell! Fabrics are getting more expensive each passing year! I remembered the good ol' days when they used to be 99¢ a yard. Now, the good shit is like $8.99 per yard!!! :dies: Of course I will charge by the yard, cost of materials, and for the ADers, less than 1/2 the labor cost. Over a month ago, I went to Intercourse, PA, to look at the quiltshops. Yup, Freaky nailed all the prices to a "T". Baby quilts are about $250.00!! I am not sure about the cost of ragged quilts, as I have never seen one for sale WITH a price tag attached. I am assuming it is a little cheaper than $250.00. I am going to go ahead and make one this week and calculate the prices.

I'll keep ya posted! ;)

Au contrarie, I DONT bitch about his sewing equipments BUT the way he says he will sew quilts but never does what he says.

ONLY if he would cut his Alldeaf addiction off and get his butt to sewing! :P

I thought you liked making quilts no matter what. Money should not be the object of making quilts. Art is and should be thought up only for its beauty and then its monetary value later on. It's a nice way to pass time anyhow.

kuifje75 said:
I thought you liked making quilts no matter what. Money should not be the object of making quilts. Art is and should be thought up only for its beauty and then its monetary value later on. It's a nice way to pass time anyhow.

LOL!! I might be just talking out of my ass. Maybe I can make the quilts for the heck of it, then when I die, the quilts could be worth millions! ;)

When I do make quilts, they are for friends or family members. For other people, I prefer to sell. I am asking these questions so I know what people want or like.

Hey, Kootchie!! Stay on topic! Please fill out the survey! ;) *ducks and runs for cover*

Well, I don't like it when one says I am bitching about WRONG thing. So I had to correct you. :P

As for wanting a quilt, well, actually I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for you to start one so I could watch how it is done, then perhaps make one of my own! Stop talking out of your arse!

:lol: at both Deaf258 and Kootchie

i myself dont know jackshit abt sewing -- i leave that to my sister -- she once made a large family type quilt with each square representing a child/grandchild/great grandchild and presented it to our grandma -- it was fabulous!!!!! the quilt itself was huge as there are so many of us LOL and each square us kids made had the best picture of us while we were kids -- it was way kewl! now my sister has to add on a few more squares with each new addition to the family

I would like a jean quilt to fit a full size bed but cost ?? not my area so dunno I would supply some if not all of jeans.

Deaf258 said:
Gee, aren't you being such a mother on the prairie? ;) No worries about that!!! LOL! I do that also whenever I have no fabric and a lot of ripped material. It's be a long while I use home scraps now that I have a large, growing collection of fabrics enough to make 15 more blankets!! If you don't believe how much fabrics I have now, ask dear ol' Kootchie! He is bitching about how much sewing stuff I have with me. I also have a denim blanket that is larger than king size comforter! I am thinking about cutting it apart again and convert it into smaller picnic blankets with backings. I plan on selling those denim picnic blankets to my brothers and sisters. If I have an extra one, I will be sure to post it for sale before I go off to ebay it. I do make some quilts out of scraps, but the ones I am doing are from new fabrics. Oh, Hell! Fabrics are getting more expensive each passing year! I remembered the good ol' days when they used to be 99¢ a yard. Now, the good shit is like $8.99 per yard!!! :dies: Of course I will charge by the yard, cost of materials, and for the ADers, less than 1/2 the labor cost. Over a month ago, I went to Intercourse, PA, to look at the quiltshops. Yup, Freaky nailed all the prices to a "T". Baby quilts are about $250.00!! I am not sure about the cost of ragged quilts, as I have never seen one for sale WITH a price tag attached. I am assuming it is a little cheaper than $250.00. I am going to go ahead and make one this week and calculate the prices.

I'll keep ya posted! ;)

LOL i missed this msg..
well.. I am more like.. MsHandyman.... hehe.. yeah i do alot of things.. :)

Back