A question about notes

SJCSue

Reaction score
If you use a notetaker in school, do you copy the notes into your notebook AFTER the notetaker has given you the class notes?

No, but that is b/c I have a disabilty which affects my fine motor skills and it's too much of a hassle to copy the notes over again.

It depends on what kind of agreement you set up with the notetaker in advance.

For some classes, the notetaker would take the notes, make photocopies, then send to everyone she was taking notes for in the class (if there was more than 1 deaf person, etc.)

For other classes, my notetaker was given carbon copy paper, which is two papers stuck together when written on, the bottom paper copies what is written on the top paper. At the end of class, the notetaker would take the bottom sheet from all the pages of notes they took and give to one student who would make copies for any other deaf students in the class (or if it was just them, that was their copy).

I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE carbon copy paper!!! Damn, worthless pieces of stinky paper! It never get all the written notes because it looks too blurry or not imprinted hard enough on the yellow page(the second copy page). I always ask my notetakers to take good notes, then go to the Accessibility Services Office and get xerox copies and leave my copy at the desk so I pick it up later. After all, the notetakers get paid for doing it.

All my notetakers are voluntary. Deaf services provide copy paper then that person gives to interp and interp takes to office to make copies for me. The notetaker is someonewho is takeing the class too.

Deaf258 said:
I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE carbon copy paper!!! Damn, worthless pieces of stinky paper! It never get all the written notes because it looks too blurry or not imprinted hard enough on the yellow page(the second copy page). I always ask my notetakers to take good notes, then go to the Accessibility Services Office and get xerox copies and leave my copy at the desk so I pick it up later. After all, the notetakers get paid for doing it.

in the old days.. we used carbon copy paper.. and i DETEST THEM!! like deaf258 said.. the notes always came out unclear, blurry or not printed hard enough...

at rit.. the notetakers would do our notes.. then go to the dept office to drop off the notes. and then the dept office would make copies for all of the students and put them in our folders.. then in my last year of rit.. they posted the notes online!! it worked like a charm! :thumb:

CSUN bad notetaker

I had a notetaker who always came late and only took notes from
off blackboard... she sometimes, just give me a little half page notes.

NCOD at CSUN won't let me have another notetaker.

I can see why I don't hardly ever see many deaf people at CSUN...
because some dropped out...

TTT said:

No, it's cuz you stayed home too much and complained about how no on likes you.

Seriously, CSUN has a lot of deaf students. :roll:

zesty said:
in the old days.. we used carbon copy paper.. and i DETEST THEM!! like deaf258 said.. the notes always came out unclear, blurry or not printed hard enough...

at rit.. the notetakers would do our notes.. then go to the dept office to drop off the notes. and then the dept office would make copies for all of the students and put them in our folders.. then in my last year of rit.. they posted the notes online!! it worked like a charm! :thumb:

I didn't even think of that, scan them and put them online! :thumb:

For me, I usually type the notes from what the notetaker writes.

However, I almost never read the notes. ;)

VamPyroX said:
No, it's cuz you stayed home too much and complained about how no on likes you.

Seriously, CSUN has a lot of deaf students. :roll:

Gosh!! It was going to be what I was going to post next!! I was going to say it is because the Deaf students are scared of her and went into hiding. ;)

VamPyroX said:
For me, I usually type the notes from what the notetaker writes.

However, I almost never read the notes. ;)

yea.. i used to rewrite the notes to help me study them.. it helped a lot... and to absorb them as well..

TTT said:

Erm. There are lot of deafies (CSUN students) around there. I met many of them at parties, beaches, dance clubs, etc etc...

Like what Vampy, maybe you stayed at your place too much?

Back to topic, Soonersseth's post covers what I want to say about this topic.

I used to have a terp for one of my high school years...there were some teachers who spoke more than wrote notes on the blackboard...so my terp doubled up as a notetaker...she was pretty good at being able to recognize what would be important for me to remember, so I just kept her notes in my book and studied off those.

TTT said:

I had some great and terrible notetakers. I never had any problems getting another one if I find out that the terrible notetaker wasn't doing their job.

At CSUN, the volunteer notetakers had the benefit of earning priority registration next semester if they took notes. They could lose that at any time if they didn't do their job. Then I would pick another hot babe and use the notes excuse to see them outside of class (just kidding -- some of my best notetakers were guys).

If I was assigned a professional notetaker and they did a jack squat job, all I had to do was complain to the professor AND to the NCOD and they took care of it. When I show the professors the notes that are missing critical material, they were always on my side. The NCOD doesn't want the professors upset (and the university as a whole upset), so the notetaker always improved after that.

Yeah, most notetakers suck....I was so spoiled by having C-Print at my old college! I hate how a lot of notetakers write down weird stuff...like did we take the same class?

Soonersseth said:
All my notetakers are voluntary. Deaf services provide copy paper then that person gives to interp and interp takes to office to make copies for me. The notetaker is someonewho is takeing the class too.
That is how it is done at the college here also.

Malfoyish said:
I used to have a terp for one of my high school years...there were some teachers who spoke more than wrote notes on the blackboard...so my terp doubled up as a notetaker...she was pretty good at being able to recognize what would be important for me to remember, so I just kept her notes in my book and studied off those.
How did the terp write notes and sign at the same time?

Back