A question about Cochlear Implants...

A

Autumn Tree

I have a friend who is complatempting getting her Cochlear Implants, and she wants me to ask a question about this: she said her insurance will pay 80% for the CI surgery, but she has to pay for the other expenses such as over-the-night stay at the hospital, etc. And while she does have a job, it is not a well-paid one. But she still wants to get CI anyway. So what can she do to apply for help to pay for the other medical expenses, besides Medicaid/Medicare?

At least I think this is the question she wanted me to post here... ^^;;

Who is her carrier? When I had my implant, I had full coverage.

Same answer and question by Endy ...

I had full coverage too.

Also, I did not have to stay overnight. I have never heard of anyone who had CI staying overnight at a hospital. I went home at 3:30 PM after my 6 AM surgery. The people I knew who underwent CI surgeries usually go home a few hours after the surgery.

Is there a way your friend can ask if she could go home on the same day of surgery to avoid extra expenses?

I had surgery at noon and went home by 7 p.m.

So I have never heard of anyone staying overnight. But as for insurance.. I had to pay $1800.00 total after all expenses.

Gemtun said:
Same answer and question by Endy ...

I had full coverage too.

Also, I did not have to stay overnight. I have never heard of anyone who had CI staying overnight at a hospital. I went home at 3:30 PM after my 6 AM surgery. The people I knew who underwent CI surgeries usually go home a few hours after the surgery.

Is there a way your friend can ask if she could go home on the same day of surgery to avoid extra expenses?

I will be staying overnight but they do surgery first thing in the morning. Maybe they don't trust us not to eat before surgery?

R2D2

It depends on what CI center you are at and what medical complications you might have that determines if one stays overnight.

My surgery got delayed to early afternoon and I had a hard time waking up due to the anesthesia and nausea. I almost had to stay overnight but fortunately didn't.

As for out of pocket costs, it was in the neighborhood of $1900.

Autumn Tree said:
I have a friend who is complatempting getting her Cochlear Implants, and she wants me to ask a question about this: she said her insurance will pay 80% for the CI surgery, but she has to pay for the other expenses such as over-the-night stay at the hospital, etc. And while she does have a job, it is not a well-paid one. But she still wants to get CI anyway. So what can she do to apply for help to pay for the other medical expenses, besides Medicaid/Medicare?

At least I think this is the question she wanted me to post here... ^^;;
if your friend is just using medicare/medicaid but no HMO insurance so why not apply for Secure Horizons or PacifiCare (same company) to get full coverage and low copay
www.securehorizons.com
more info on Medicare Health Plan:
http://www.medicare.gov/Choices/Overview.asp

more info can be found at: http://www.cochlear.org/sys-tmpl/door/ and http://listen-up.org/haidfund.htm

As Gemtum said same question and answer meaning it has been asked before several times in old thread would be wise to browse or search before posing this question :D goo luck to your friend.

I emailed the link to this thread to my friend so she can read them for herself, and so far I don't know if she is going to respond to this, yet. :S

i stayed overnight.. i work at walmart and the insurance only pays 80% and i pay 20%. my out of pocket expense are $3,000 range.. the insurance paid the rest.. however i got the low-income fund from the hostiptal.. they are willing to give up some money and lose money. u can try that too.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
i stayed overnight.. i work at walmart and the insurance only pays 80% and i pay 20%. my out of pocket expense are $3,000 range.. the insurance paid the rest.. however i got the low-income fund from the hostiptal.. they are willing to give up some money and lose money. u can try that too.

Hmm, sounds like something my friend might be interested in reading this...I'll let my friend know about this. Thanks.

Autumn Tree said:
Hmm, sounds like something my friend might be interested in reading this...I'll let my friend know about this. Thanks.
no, I will not stay in the hosptial, just after surgery then go home,I dont know how long I will be stay in recovery before go home. I have to ask dr next monday. I have to go to the hosptial for the run test and ekg also blood work, then gulp on 13 th to get ready for surgery. I dont know what time so that's why I have to see my dr and ask him about it. I will info later ok thanks! I was very interesting cuz they gave it to me the dvd for ci and , I think it was wonderful,and I think ci is best than hearing aid, cuz hearing aid dont help me to pick up a word , just only sound.but not very often happen, but not right now I dont use it anymore cuz I am ready to get ci soon.

My insurance at the time of my implantation was Medicaid...they REQUIRED that I stay overnight or else they wouldn't cover the surgery. *shrugs* Since then I have transferred to my husband's insurance policy.

sweetpink said:
no, I will not stay in the hosptial, just after surgery then go home,I dont know how long I will be stay in recovery before go home. I have to ask dr next monday. I have to go to the hosptial for the run test and ekg also blood work, then gulp on 13 th to get ready for surgery. I dont know what time so that's why I have to see my dr and ask him about it. I will info later ok thanks! I was very interesting cuz they gave it to me the dvd for ci and , I think it was wonderful,and I think ci is best than hearing aid, cuz hearing aid dont help me to pick up a word , just only sound.but not very often happen, but not right now I dont use it anymore cuz I am ready to get ci soon.

You know what.. I thought the same thing, I dumped my hearing aid as soon as I got the CI.. But I found I was getting better results with BOTH (Hearing aid and the CI) than I was just the CI by itself. So if you are having ur CI done opposite of your hearing aid ear - I'd keep it on. Believe me it makes a world of a difference!

What about your friend's state's rehabilitation services? Sertoma?

Back