Reaction score
A Deaf Professional Adult's Perspective
by Elaine Belue

Do's
•• Be on time. Arrive at least 15 minutes early
•• Sit properly.
•• Dress professionally
•• Keep opinions to self
•• When teaming with another interpreter - listen, be ready to help (i.e. voicing)
•• Accept constructive feedback
•• When voicing, maintain a steady volume
•• Accept having a teamer
•• Remain in interpreter's role
•• Wear solids. If you have on a pattern, you can wear a blazer or jacket
•• Try to match client's mouth movements with signs (i.e. voice the word however when client signs "but" when his/her mouth movement is "however")
•• Keep a blazer or jacket in your car for backup to match with the setting of assignment
•• Be flexible - accept changes in schedules in the last minute accept assignments on trial/temporary basis
•• Keep hair away from face

Don'ts
•• Show up late or right when it's time to begin.
•• Show up with wet hair
•• Talk about personal things (i.e. I'm so tired; left the house a wreck, ... )
•• When teaming and it's your turn to stop - read a book, balance a checkbook, tune out to what's going on, etc.
•• Take it personally when a client tells you a sign for something or tells you things such as "Please dress professionally the next time", etc)
•• When voicing, gradually lower your voice volume
•• Smile the entire time
•• Swing your foot (when legs are crossed)
•• Wear tight or low cut shirts (especially females)
•• While interpreting, get involved in workshops, group discussions, share experiences related to topic
•• Yawn a lot, appear bored, restless (it's contagious)
•• Tell a deaf co-worker that you will interpret for him/her
•• Become insulted when deaf co-worker does not choose you to interpret for him/her

That's not ADA.

That is about their RESPONSIBILITY or properly how to be professional.

To Illustrator..

Illustrator,

I was intriqued by you being a graphic designer and was going to ask you something via email but could'nt reach you. I'm an illustrator/designer myself.

Cheers,

-Adam

Sanctum1972 said:
Illustrator,

I was intriqued by you being a graphic designer and was going to ask you something via email but could'nt reach you. I'm an illustrator/designer myself.

Cheers,

-Adam

Illustrator has been banned or left alldeaf since last year. He's not there anymore, so far I know.

Wow..

sequoias said:
Illustrator has been banned or left alldeaf since last year. He's not there anymore, so far I know.

Seriously? What happened? Abusing the regulations?

-Adam

Sanctum1972 said:
Seriously? What happened? Abusing the regulations?

-Adam
:confused: It doesn't say "Banned" under Illustrator's avatar.

Sanctum1972 said:
Illustrator,

Cheers,

-Adam

What about a simple PM?

Keep an extra tie or 2 on hand because if your dinner lands on it you'll need to change it as the newly decorated tie is not gonna look pretty on you.

Richard

An extra pair of pantyhose for the ladies too as well.

Overpowering cologne or perfume doesn't bode well in the workplace or the interview site because nowadays, people are being asked not to wear cologne/perfume to respect their co-workers' allergies.

Keep jewellery to a bare minumum. You wouldn't want to wear chunky jewellery like the infamous '80's Cyndi Lauper/Madonna era. (As much as I loved that era, it's long gone.)

I wore cologne to my last job interview and it didn't prevent them from hiring me! LOL... I wear cologne everyday to work and I know tons of the coworkers at my work wear colognes and perfumes. No wonder cos of the things that we process through at work, it's better to smell the cologne and perfumes. LOL... and what's cool is that a lot of people at my work has piercing in all kinds of places like eyebrows, nose, multiple earrings, etc... Not your typical Utahn workplace, and no wonder it is touted as one of the best places to work for in Utah. ;)

Now that I reviewed the list carefully, it seems to be geared towards interpreters doing job interviews, not deaf adults in interviews.

OT: I dedicate this 4000th post to my SO and all of my close friends! :ily:

Back