11 month old keeps pulling her aids out!

I know my mom says at 14 to 18 months, I only wore my HAs when I was around a lot of people like dinner time etc.

I kept pulling them out and chucking them down the toilet so that's what my mom did.

Shimo, that behavioral program is too complicated for an 11 month-old to understand. Ear check-- immediate hug and sticker on the hand. :cool2:
Whoops, I saw "11 year old".

if this is an 11 month old, maybe she can wear a helmet?
I'm not sure how critical it is for the 11 month old to wear the HA, but I dont think it's impossible to prevent her from ruining the HAs.

Maybe not wearing it will delay/permanently affect the brain's development.

If not, then maybe the kid can wait until he or she can understand.

I saw this problem in church this morning, sent the mom the links for the cap, thread and board. Don't know how much of a loss the child has, or why the left is unaided.

I saw this problem in church this morning, sent the mom the links for the cap, thread and board. Don't know how much of a loss the child has, or why the left is unaided.

The child probably has a unilateral loss, or the ear is so profound they don't benefit from a hearing aid.

Yeah. And that makes a lot of difference in how motivated parents will be to get her to wear it all the time while awake. If that one is profound, it would make a big difference in brain and language development.

I'm not sure how critical it is for the 11 month old to wear the HA,

Maybe not wearing it will delay/permanently affect the brain's development.

If not, then maybe the kid can wait until he or she can understand.

The kid is ALSO only HOH. She already has quite a bit of residual hearing....and we're talking about not havign the hearing aids SOMETIMES.
As long as a kid gets significent listening time, they will develop speech and listening skills. I just LOVE how people think you have to be all obessive about hearing aids/CIs.

The kid is ALSO only HOH. She already has quite a bit of residual hearing....and we're talking about not havign the hearing aids SOMETIMES.
As long as a kid gets significent listening time, they will develop speech and listening skills. I just LOVE how people think you have to be all obessive about hearing aids/CIs.

It doesn't matter if "the kid is only HOH"... It is the quality of access to language around them. Just because they may have some residual hearing doesn't mean that they are "hearing" it correctly and in it's entirety.

It is critical that children wear their hearing aids as much as possible during waking hours so that they have the opportunity to begin to make sense of the spoken language surrounding them. It isn't something that happens overnight. It takes time.

It doesn't matter if "the kid is only HOH"... It is the quality of access to language around them. Just because they may have some residual hearing doesn't mean that they are "hearing" it correctly and in it's entirety.

It is critical that children wear their hearing aids as much as possible during waking hours so that they have the opportunity to begin to make sense of the spoken language surrounding them. It isn't something that happens overnight. It takes time.

*pounds head against computer*
FYI, there was a REASON why HOH and EVEN DEAF kids were dx "late" as toddlers. Kids can compensate very well! ....Here's my thinking.....Yes, kids may benifit from exposure to sound and speech, BUT by being anal (gotta wear it every single waking hour) about having your kid wear a HA/CI you're implying that they're not smart enough to expolarate quality exposure to speech/language to the big picture. I'm not talking about NOT wearng the HA/CI. I'm saying that a kid can benifit just as much from wearing a HA for 4 hours as they can from "gotta wear it every single waking hour"....HOH kids already have quite a bit of exposure to speech, since a lot of them can hear somewhat WITHOUT their aids.

*pounds head against computer*
FYI, there was a REASON why HOH and EVEN DEAF kids were dx "late" as toddlers. Kids can compensate very well! ....Here's my thinking.....Yes, kids may benifit from exposure to sound and speech, BUT by being anal (gotta wear it every single waking hour) about having your kid wear a HA/CI you're implying that they're not smart enough to expolarate quality exposure to speech/language to the big picture. I'm not talking about NOT wearng the HA/CI. I'm saying that a kid can benifit just as much from wearing a HA for 4 hours as they can from "gotta wear it every single waking hour"....HOH kids already have quite a bit of exposure to speech, since a lot of them can hear somewhat WITHOUT their aids.

FYI, your assumptions and assertions are incorrect and faulty.

FYI, your assumptions and assertions are incorrect and faulty.

CSign, the research has been done on DEAF kids. NOT HOH. There's been very little research on HOH kids.
But in this case when the kid doesn't have the aids on for a bit, or even a few hours, its not going to automaticly inhibit aquastion of speech or learning how to hear. It's the QUALITY, not the quanity.

CSign, the research has been done on DEAF kids. NOT HOH. There's been very little research on HOH kids.
But in this case when the kid doesn't have the aids on for a bit, or even a few hours, its not going to automaticly inhibit aquastion of speech or learning how to hear. It's the QUALITY, not the quanity.

Wrong. It is about the quality, yes. It is also about the "quantity". Perhaps you can go back and do some more research on the subject to understand it better, so that you don't do a disservice to the DHH children whose parents might read this forum.

I never said it's the end of the world if they don't wear their hearing aids for a short period of time. However to downplay the importance of consistent and early amplification is irresponsible.

if you have any sources then talk. If you dont have any sources, then find the link.

I did the same thing at age 3, I would take it apart and hide all over the house. Drove my mom crazy. Problem for me was it would buzz and ring and sounds were amplified. Mom solved the pom by letting me play without them and wear during meals and car rides. Kept asking me if its not too loud. Eventually ingot used to em when I was put through speech classes and learnt how to use properly. Hope this helps a bit.

Back