€300,000 award to deaf teen

Smithtr

G.G.H.T
Premium Member
Reaction score
A TEENAGE boy has settled a High Court action for €300,000 over an alleged delay in diagnosing his profound deafness.

Liam Burke (17), from Castlemaine, Co Kerry, claimed that his hearing loss was not picked up until he was more than three years of age.

Through his mother, Mary Burke, he sued the HSE and and a senior audiologist operating out of Kerry General Hospital, Patricia Heffernan.

Mr Justice Kevin Cross was told that the settlement was without admission of liability.

It was claimed that Liam was profoundly deaf and had profound inner hearing loss from birth but was misdiagnosed as having a milder hearing loss due to glue ear and had three sets of grommets inserted, none of which significantly reduced his disability or handicap.
The defendants had claimed that the hearing loss was progressive and fluctuating, counsel said.

€300,000 award to deaf teen - National News - Independent.ie

Wow, damn... Would have been nice to have this kind of money. I'm assuming an average income would be about 13,000 euros... And assuming the kid is smart enough to move the money into something safe while the Euroland continues to collapse. He would be able to live on that money for 23 years while figuring out what he wants to do...

I got nothing of the sort, and of course, my parents didn't know any better when I was FINALLY found to be profoundly deaf at SEVEN years old, AFTER having been misdiagnosed as being retarded or mentally deficient.

I would get the hell out of town and figure out what I want to do.

it sound good but suspect he lose other money benifits and have to use this for life so it not as wonderful as you think

Back