AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > Auto Talk
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
dereksbicycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 60202
Posts: 5,753
Send a message via AIM to dereksbicycles
Bad luck with my Ram

The other day, I was driving the Ram to Goodwill and I was stranded. The truck would not start. What I had to do was tighten battery cable and it worked fine. Off I go, no problem until yestersday.

Yestersday, I made the mistake of leaving lights on for 3 hours on my truck. My neighbor warned me and I went right away to turn them off. Seems like damage was done. The truck would start, but not hold charge. Obviously, I'll need a new battery. What I would like to know is can a person ruin alternator by leaving light on truck??

Truck does run but won't run unless my foot is on gas. Would a poor battery force a person to have to keep foot on gas to hold battery charge??
dereksbicycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 65,758
how would it ruin your alternator?
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
dereksbicycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 60202
Posts: 5,753
Send a message via AIM to dereksbicycles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
how would it ruin your alternator?
I hope it did not ruin the alternator, but I am not exactly a mechanic so I am asking here.
dereksbicycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
VacationGuy234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,442
A lose battery cable will cause a bad connection so the truck will not start, but will not drain a batter because no amperage is being used.

When you drain the battery by keeping your lights on you hare using up all the battery energy. The truck's alternator is supposed to charge the battery again, but this depends on how long you run the truck. If you only run it for five minutes, you still have drained battery. The amount of gas (engine power) you use does not change the time the battery takes to charge so giving more gas does not help.

It might be that neither the connection or the lights are the problem. Your alternator may be broken. You can't just check this will a meter because an alternator needs to be checked under load and you need a special tester for it.

I would take it to Sears or the dealer and have the alternator checked as well as the battery. They should do the check for free, but ask first.

If the truck is new the battery and alternator will be under warranty so don't buy a new alternator or battery if this is the case. Take it to the dealer if it is a new truck.
__________________
Got Emacs?
VacationGuy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
dereksbicycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 60202
Posts: 5,753
Send a message via AIM to dereksbicycles
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacationGuy234 View Post
A lose battery cable will cause a bad connection so the truck will not start, but will not drain a batter because no amperage is being used.

When you drain the battery by keeping your lights on you hare using up all the battery energy. The truck's alternator is supposed to charge the battery again, but this depends on how long you run the truck. If you only run it for five minutes, you still have drained battery. The amount of gas (engine power) you use does not change the time the battery takes to charge so giving more gas does not help.

It might be that neither the connection or the lights are the problem. Your alternator may be broken. You can't just check this will a meter because an alternator needs to be checked under load and you need a special tester for it.

I would take it to Sears or the dealer and have the alternator checked as well as the battery. They should do the check for free, but ask first.

If the truck is new the battery and alternator will be under warranty so don't buy a new alternator or battery if this is the case. Take it to the dealer if it is a new truck.
Thank you very much for your feedback. Truck is 1998.

What I would like to know is can an alternator be ruined in any circumstance by leaving lights on?
dereksbicycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
radioman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In the good ole USA !
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksbicycles View Post
Thank you very much for your feedback. Truck is 1998.

What I would like to know is can an alternator be ruined in any circumstance by leaving lights on?
in a simple one word.... NO.

You can ruin the BATTERY if you cannot keep battery topped off from alternator if the alternator is bad. Reason is the engine spark plugs draws alot power and if you are relying on battery to keep engine running, the plates in battery will warp from severe discharging and charging and eventually it will be a bad battery shorting out a cell or more.


Chances are you had a bad alternator and ruined the battery. You stated you had to step on gas more to keep it running as its trying to pull current through a bad battery but its not putting out the amps to charge battery AND run engine.

All the alternator does is put out a charge. Technically you should be able to disconnect the battery once its started and drive.

Did you try to put the battery on a charger all night ? is it a maintenance free battery? does it have caps to remove to check water level? If you connect a charger all night and check in morning, is the cells have bubbles rising to surface in all 6 cells? If maintenance free, is the eye green or dark after charging all night?

Chances are if your battery is NOT getting a charge from alternator, chances are its shot. The easiest way to tell is to remove the alternator from truck and take it to the autostore like autozone/advanced auto- etc and have them test it. They will do it for free.

I'd replace the alternator first if it tests bad from store. Try to start ( you may have to jump it the first time if battery is weak and you have no charger and run around town and back home and see if the battery will hold a charge, chances are the battery might still be ok- not good but ok enough. Be prepared to shell out the bucks for battery.

One more caution here--- I am not familar with YOUR ram but there are a few odd balls vehicles out there that has the voltage regulator NOT built in the alternator which makes it more expensive as some is built in car computer.. Just a simple check in autostores while you are there with your old alternator to check it out will tell you the rest of the story.

troubleshooting your battery/alternator is not hard other then wiring, but your truck is not old enough to fall in that category.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
VacationGuy234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksbicycles View Post
Thank you very much for your feedback. Truck is 1998.

What I would like to know is can an alternator be ruined in any circumstance by leaving lights on?
No, but this does not mean the alternator is not bad, it must be checked.
__________________
Got Emacs?
VacationGuy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
dereksbicycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 60202
Posts: 5,753
Send a message via AIM to dereksbicycles
I did not charge it all night. I can try to charge it up for 10 to 15 minutes and see if it helps battery.

I don't think it is maintainence free battery.
dereksbicycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 10,929
Don't get a replacement alternator from a junk yard. Chances are they're no good and it's exasperating after hours and hours of effort.
__________________
.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 16,664
Beo, they make remanufactured alternators, don't they?
Tousi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 22,250
Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Just go to auto parts store and they are willing to do a free test to see if the alternator is bad or not. They do a voltage test with a small device.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
dereksbicycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 60202
Posts: 5,753
Send a message via AIM to dereksbicycles
Jump started truck for like 15, 20 minutes. Does run, but won't hold charge.
dereksbicycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fly Free!
Posts: 13,858
No, you can't ruin alternator. Alternator works or not work, not in between. Alternator is very difficult to break. Simple as is. If your headlight dims when motor running. Sorry to break news, need new alternator. If headlight stay bright when running then it is battery issue.

Go to AutoZone and they will tell you if it is Alt or Battery.
__________________
J-MAC's quote: "People who try and fail are more superior than people who don't try at all"

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Anyway, anyone of you have or wanted to fly Hang Glider and fly free, feel free PM. Would love chat with you.
diehardbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
dereksbicycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 60202
Posts: 5,753
Send a message via AIM to dereksbicycles
Battery tested good at Autozone. They doesn't seem to think it is alternator. If it was, the truck wouldn't start.
dereksbicycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 65,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksbicycles View Post
Battery tested good at Autozone. They doesn't seem to think it is alternator. If it was, the truck wouldn't start.
then everything's ok and there's nothing to worry about.
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
dereksbicycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 60202
Posts: 5,753
Send a message via AIM to dereksbicycles
Tightened cables again. Not enough charge until I pressed on gas for a longer time. Now I can go anywhere. Looks like it was loose connection all along.
dereksbicycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 65,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksbicycles View Post
Tightened cables again. Not enough charge until I pressed on gas for a longer time. Now I can go anywhere. Looks like it was loose connection all along.
make sure those cables (metal tips) are clean.

I had similar problem with my motorcycle so I cleaned the metal tips with WD-40 and sandpapered it. all perfect.
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
The Highlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksbicycles View Post
The other day, I was driving the Ram to Goodwill and I was stranded. The truck would not start. What I had to do was tighten battery cable and it worked fine. Off I go, no problem until yestersday.

Yestersday, I made the mistake of leaving lights on for 3 hours on my truck. My neighbor warned me and I went right away to turn them off. Seems like damage was done. The truck would start, but not hold charge. Obviously, I'll need a new battery. What I would like to know is can a person ruin alternator by leaving light on truck??

Truck does run but won't run unless my foot is on gas. Would a poor battery force a person to have to keep foot on gas to hold battery charge??
Light on for 3 hours? Then your battery need recharger at slow mode for overnight.
__________________
"There are a lot of people that donít like this software. It is because they donít understand how to use the software and donít realize itís potential."

The Highlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Grummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Posts: 13,407
i repaired my own alternators for $6 instead of buying a brand new one for $1200 or a second hand one from the wreckers at $400.... yes folks SIX DOLLARS ...
AND i swapped it out by taking out radiators, belts drained ofc and installed back the alternators IN THE RAIN.......AND it started and was able to travel another 500Km back home....
__________________
Grummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
The Highlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
in a simple one word.... NO.

You can ruin the BATTERY if you cannot keep battery topped off from alternator if the alternator is bad. Reason is the engine spark plugs draws alot power and if you are relying on battery to keep engine running, the plates in battery will warp from severe discharging and charging and eventually it will be a bad battery shorting out a cell or more.


Chances are you had a bad alternator and ruined the battery. You stated you had to step on gas more to keep it running as its trying to pull current through a bad battery but its not putting out the amps to charge battery AND run engine.

All the alternator does is put out a charge. Technically you should be able to disconnect the battery once its started and drive.

Did you try to put the battery on a charger all night ? is it a maintenance free battery? does it have caps to remove to check water level? If you connect a charger all night and check in morning, is the cells have bubbles rising to surface in all 6 cells? If maintenance free, is the eye green or dark after charging all night?

Chances are if your battery is NOT getting a charge from alternator, chances are its shot. The easiest way to tell is to remove the alternator from truck and take it to the autostore like autozone/advanced auto- etc and have them test it. They will do it for free.

I'd replace the alternator first if it tests bad from store. Try to start ( you may have to jump it the first time if battery is weak and you have no charger and run around town and back home and see if the battery will hold a charge, chances are the battery might still be ok- not good but ok enough. Be prepared to shell out the bucks for battery.

One more caution here--- I am not familar with YOUR ram but there are a few odd balls vehicles out there that has the voltage regulator NOT built in the alternator which makes it more expensive as some is built in car computer.. Just a simple check in autostores while you are there with your old alternator to check it out will tell you the rest of the story.

troubleshooting your battery/alternator is not hard other then wiring, but your truck is not old enough to fall in that category.
I am agreed with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksbicycles View Post
I did not charge it all night. I can try to charge it up for 10 to 15 minutes and see if it helps battery.

I don't think it is maintainence free battery.
10-15 minutes is not enough. Just do for overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Just go to auto parts store and they are willing to do a free test to see if the alternator is bad or not. They do a voltage test with a small device.
It's call digital multimeter. It's great tool for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksbicycles View Post
Tightened cables again. Not enough charge until I pressed on gas for a longer time. Now I can go anywhere. Looks like it was loose connection all along.
Do your battery terminals/posts have corrosion?

It's looks like that.





Then you need to clean with right tool as post terminal cleaner or wire brush

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...questid=390182
Use tool to clean

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=95997_0_0_
Then use spray to clean it out with shop towel.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=118314_0_0_
Then put it between post and terminal. It's help to avoid from the corrosion.
__________________
"There are a lot of people that donít like this software. It is because they donít understand how to use the software and donít realize itís potential."


Last edited by The Highlander; 01-10-2012 at 09:29 PM.
The Highlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 10,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
Beo, they make remanufactured alternators, don't they?
I have no idea. Does anyone here know?
__________________
.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Lets ride horses!
 
Phillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Spaceship
Posts: 11,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
Beo, they make remanufactured alternators, don't they?
I dont think so because I don't see any problem alternators on my Dodge Ram
__________________

My journal!
http://poochie21.blogspot.com/

***Enjoy life today, Yesterday has past and Tomorrow may never come.***
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Surf City
Posts: 1,810
I like these posters.... sounds good... How old is battery? Recommend a new battery.
If the battery drains for long time, then the voltage will flat to about 1 voltage when cranking the engine, because the PCM (computer) need 9 voltage to keep KAM alive, dead battery will cause the driveability problem later or after new battery installed.

Check any ground connections such negative battery cable at the engine block and frame or body.. like what posters says...

How do you know the battery (alternator) won't hold charge?

I hope not to see the PCM (computer) problem what Radioman mentioned in post #6. Because the voltage regulator built-in a computer.... Have you see a red light in the dash like battery warning light on?
deafsmogtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Surf City
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
how would it ruin your alternator?
Dead or undercharged battery can ruin the alternator. Battery must be full charged before install a new or reman alternator. Always...
deafsmogtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
dereksbicycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 60202
Posts: 5,753
Send a message via AIM to dereksbicycles
Battery is good for 84 months. It's from Feb. 2006.

Not much corrosion. It did have some which I was able to clear with my key chain. If it had a lot more, I would obviously get a special tool to clear off the corrosion.

Battery would not hold charge until I cleared those corrosion and tightened cable after jump start.

Check engine light does not go on while driving. Went on when starting truck, but not any more now that I got connection cable issue fixed.
dereksbicycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Evo Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,100
If your alternator is old. battery voltage might getting weak. It has been worn brushes parts. It need replace new brushes kit or buy a full alternator at auto shop.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 953929232_kuB2a-X2.jpg (71.6 KB, 39 views)
__________________

moved to Minus. Photobucket sucks
Evo Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Surf City
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksbicycles View Post
Battery is good for 84 months. It's from Feb. 2006.

Not much corrosion. It did have some which I was able to clear with my key chain. If it had a lot more, I would obviously get a special tool to clear off the corrosion.

Battery would not hold charge until I cleared those corrosion and tightened cable after jump start.

Check engine light does not go on while driving. Went on when starting truck, but not any more now that I got connection cable issue fixed.
Replace battery.... Aging battery, I bet. Not faith in 84 months life, even won't start or slow cranking in cold morning or hot day. HTH.
deafsmogtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered User
 
The Highlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksbicycles View Post
Battery is good for 84 months. It's from Feb. 2006.

Not much corrosion. It did have some which I was able to clear with my key chain. If it had a lot more, I would obviously get a special tool to clear off the corrosion.

Battery would not hold charge until I cleared those corrosion and tightened cable after jump start.

Check engine light does not go on while driving. Went on when starting truck, but not any more now that I got connection cable issue fixed.
Seven years old!? Time to replace it. Mostly batteries good for around five years. My old Subaru's battery finally died after 8 years.
__________________
"There are a lot of people that donít like this software. It is because they donít understand how to use the software and donít realize itís potential."

The Highlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Evo Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,100
My Optima Red-Top battery died about 7 years. replace new one and too expensive battery.

__________________

moved to Minus. Photobucket sucks
Evo Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fly Free!
Posts: 13,858
Yep, 2006 is way too old. Time to replace that battery. its 6 years old, not 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
Seven years old!? Time to replace it. Mostly batteries good for around five years. My old Subaru's battery finally died after 8 years.
__________________
J-MAC's quote: "People who try and fail are more superior than people who don't try at all"

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Anyway, anyone of you have or wanted to fly Hang Glider and fly free, feel free PM. Would love chat with you.
diehardbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.