AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > American with Disabilities Act
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Like Tree31Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CowgirlAnne82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6
Apartment Bullying

Hi, my family and I live on the second floor of an apartment complex and my neighbor downstairs is bullying me. She says that I am too loud. This particular neighbor complains about every thing though, I mean when the dryer is on she complains and everyone who has lived in this unit has been scared away or evicted because she complained too much.

I have asked the apartment manager to switch us to a downstairs apartment so this wouldn't be a problem. Me, being hard of hearing, things need to be louder for me and living upstairs is not a good idea. So I asked them to switch us but they won't unless we pay a new deposit, a whole new app fee, and new background check. I feel this isn't fair and feel my rights are being violated.

What do I need to do to get my apartment complex to move us with out all the fees?
CowgirlAnne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
authentic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 6,945
Tell your neighbor "Live with it".
__________________
authentic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
cdaigle430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowgirlAnne82 View Post
Hi, my family and I live on the second floor of an apartment complex and my neighbor downstairs is bullying me. She says that I am too loud. This particular neighbor complains about every thing though, I mean when the dryer is on she complains and everyone who has lived in this unit has been scared away or evicted because she complained too much.

I have asked the apartment manager to switch us to a downstairs apartment so this wouldn't be a problem. Me, being hard of hearing, things need to be louder for me and living upstairs is not a good idea. So I asked them to switch us but they won't unless we pay a new deposit, a whole new app fee, and new background check. I feel this isn't fair and feel my rights are being violated.

What do I need to do to get my apartment complex to move us with out all the fees?
If she is the only one complaining and she knows of your situation then, ask he to pay the extra fees to get you moved. Otherwise she will have to learn to live with it or move out herself.

Also, see if you can get free legal assistance in regards to your neighbor's complaints and your apartment managers unreasonable requests. Around here it is our was Pine Tree Legal. You will be surprised at how quiet and or reasonable people are when you show them the legal mumbo jumbo
shel90 and whatdidyousay! like this.
cdaigle430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
VacationGuy234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,645
I don't think you should move. While you have a right to be loud, I think a better solution is an FM system that you can plug into a head phone jack to go right to your aid(wireless), I use this all the time. This will handle things like TV, computer and Ipod. Beyond that, anything else that is loud is her problem.

If you have to, get a restraining order if she complains, once the FM system is in place.
VacationGuy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
If your neighbor downstairs continuously harrasses you then call the police and get a restraining order against her. There are laws against people harassing you.
jillio, SimonJ and Krissy like this.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,038
"Talk to manager."
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
TWA
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,374
play tricks on her and convince her that her apartment is haunted.
authentic, jillio, shel90 and 3 others like this.
TWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
radioman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In the good ole USA !
Posts: 2,844
I dont think you need to move. I am a landlord so I know. A landlord can only talk to neighbors, but cannot tell them what to do. My response? I always tell them to call police as I am powerless to tell neighbors what to do, but tenants can call police and get resolution. It may not be to your liking- but at leeast you got it documented. A landlord will NOT move you without fees.
Your BEST defense is to call police on a threatening neighbor over a noise complaint BEFORE they do. That neighbor KNOWS that harassing you works since it works on others before. STAND YOUR ground. as long you are NOT making loud noises past 10pm to morning, they cannot complain. you can complain however.

Also if they continue to harass you, tell THEM they should move as you are there to stay and you are reasonable. (remember, dont say they HAVE to or need to move, but "should" - its the key and remember that if police shows up at your door)
Berry likes this.
radioman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,088
Teach Irish jigs in your apartment.
Berry and Krissy like this.
__________________
.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CowgirlAnne82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6
Thank you all for your comments. I have a feeling she isn't going to stay in the apartment much longer. A family with 4 rowdy boys moved in next door. If I can hear them and that's saying a lot, then my neighbor certainly can. She isn't going to be happy. I don't like it she's mean to my visitors and it's not like I get many, I am a shy hermit and a SAHM
CowgirlAnne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
SimonJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 783
Send a message via Yahoo to SimonJ Send a message via Skype™ to SimonJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowgirlAnne82 View Post
and a SAHM
A what?
SimonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 24,666
SAHM is only i know of Stay At Home Mom.
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
SimonJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 783
Send a message via Yahoo to SimonJ Send a message via Skype™ to SimonJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
SAHM is only i know of Stay At Home Mom.
Thanks, I would never have got that!
HokuAhi likes this.
SimonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
As a landlord I also deal with these type of concerns. I have moved people from one unit to another for various reasons, and I do request a new deposit, then I return the balance or entirety of the first deposit once the first unit is vacated and cleaned. It is inappropriate for an existing landlord to require a new background check for an existing tenant. I am not sure if the application fee is separate from a background fee. If it is, I need to know more about it to comment. I have had to deal with excessive noise complaints and over the years I have come to the following bit of wisdom, if the noise is loud enough to warrant calling the police and getting a noise violation, then do that. If it is not, then it is the normal sounds of living in close proximity (apartment life). I get notification of all police calls. I counsel those who have received their first one to avoid getting any more.
Berry likes this.
kwyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyant View Post
As a landlord I also deal with these type of concerns. I have moved people from one unit to another for various reasons, and I do request a new deposit, then I return the balance or entirety of the first deposit once the first unit is vacated and cleaned. It is inappropriate for an existing landlord to require a new background check for an existing tenant. I am not sure if the application fee is separate from a background fee. If it is, I need to know more about it to comment. I have had to deal with excessive noise complaints and over the years I have come to the following bit of wisdom, if the noise is loud enough to warrant calling the police and getting a noise violation, then do that. If it is not, then it is the normal sounds of living in close proximity (apartment life). I get notification of all police calls. I counsel those who have received their first one to avoid getting any more.
For a landlord you are not saying much.
You get notification of police calls and "counsel" those who received the first one to "avoid getting any more." And? What if there were more calls?
__________________
.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
In the city where I live and rent apartments, the city council has passed a 3 strikes rule. Get 3 noise violations or a number of other nuisance violations and the landlord is forced to evict. Since I know that rule is not in effect everywhere, there didn't seem to be much reason to mention it. I have seen the police write a nuisance ticket to a person for calling in unjustified noise violations, such as baby crying or tv set to normal volume so a person has be careful about calling in except in cases of true noise violations. It is a difficult area. People are allowed to make the normal noises of living and there is no guarantee of a noise free environment within your apartment, so the police get to decide what is excessive. As a landlord I used to try to make this determination myself, but since I am not empowered to do that, all I could do is little different from what the offended party could do. I certainly could not evict someone for being loud without noise violations lest I open myself up to lawsuits. Now I advise the person complaining, 1) Try to work it out with the offending person. 2) If you can't and you feel it is a noise violation, call the police. If the police gives a noise violation, then there is a good chance that will be the end of it. If it continues, 2 more noise violations mean automatic eviction. 3) Then I counsel the person who received the noise violation to avoid receiving any more. Not a perfect system I am sure, but if anybody knows a better way, I am open to learning.
Berry likes this.
kwyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
lol, hahaha tell ur next door there's no curfew in apts during day time.. u stay there be who u are she has to live with it .. there's apts rules quiet time like 10 or 11 or midnight . that time u have to be quiet not to be loud. simply as that but during day time i would tell her shut up mind ur own thing i got my own thing where i live here..
mattski24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17,213
And how is the dryer being too loud your fault?? It looks like your neighbor is a bitch and does not want anyone living under her! Have you tried going a center for deaf and hoh and see if they help you in any way? I see no reason why you would have to pay and fee to move into another apartment. What are the tenants rights on this?
whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ad Astra Per Aspera
 
DeafBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,445
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via AIM to DeafBadger
This is tricky because I used to live in a lower level apartment with college students living in the upper unit. The apartment told me there was sound proofing, but due to repairs done at various times, I could tell there was absolutely no sound proofing between levels.

The college students would party well past 3 AM at times. I need a solid 8 hours sleep. So they would frequently wake me up with the noises.

I called the police a few times and they sent a unit over, but it was always an hour after calling and somehow, the college students would vacate and disperse before the police showed up.

I spoke with the manager about this and he wanted a recording, so I borrowed a tape recorder, but it was design to record human voices, not thuds and crashes coming from upstairs. I had a friend stick around to witness the sounds, and he confirmed they were being very loud indeed.

The manager did bring them in to talk to them about it, but it just ticked them off and they made deliberate noises after that. I was literally subsisting on 3-4 hours sleep a night for a period of two months.

It was never resolved, and thankfully, my lease had expired and I was on month-to-month. So I found another place and moved. I was not the only one who thought these people were noisy though. Neighboring tenants also thought so, but for some reason, it just wouldn't be resolved.

I have no issues with normal apartment noises, but I expect neighbors to be considerate and not make loud noises after, say 10 pm. In my area, that's the cut-off for noise ordinances.

I'm not saying that you're making noises like the college students were. It sounds like you're doing your best to be a considerate neighbor. Sometimes tenants are just too sensitive to the littlest sounds. Footfalls are normal. Dryer sounds are normal.

Good luck.
__________________
"Ad Astra Per Aspera" - Through hardships, to the stars.

severe-to-profound in both ears, since birth. My Blog

Pale Blue Dot (cc: Select Italian captions, then Translate Captions to English--English)

"Labels are mentally lazy ways by which people assert they know you without knowing you." ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
DeafBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
rockin'robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 20,530
Wondering if the lady downstairs stays home all the time?...So every noise bothers her....

When I was living in apartments, I always chose the down floor, not the top!....But even then, some tenants walk very heavily upstairs, and the banging of the kids on the floors with toys, etc. The vibes of heavy walking did bother me at times...the other noises bothered my hearing family....all times of the day or night....even slamming their front or back doors!

I would speak to the Lady downstairs in a nice way...and ask her what time/things and when the noises bother her....but it could be she is just a "chronic complainer"....I dunno!...But some people do make unnecessary noises, that they are not aware of....then try to remedy what she is saying that bothers her.....be a good neighbor....

If it doesn't work...then I would let her call the Police, as I sure would not do so!....I'd put her on ignore!...But still try to keep the noise, even the baby crying to a minimum....especially after 10PM....
rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,469
Blog Entries: 3
If the lady wanted complete silence, she should live in a single family home.
jillio, deafskeptic, Berry and 1 others like this.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 01:09 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
LuciaDisturbed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 7,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowgirlAnne82 View Post
Hi, my family and I live on the second floor of an apartment complex and my neighbor downstairs is bullying me. She says that I am too loud. This particular neighbor complains about every thing though, I mean when the dryer is on she complains and everyone who has lived in this unit has been scared away or evicted because she complained too much.

I have asked the apartment manager to switch us to a downstairs apartment so this wouldn't be a problem. Me, being hard of hearing, things need to be louder for me and living upstairs is not a good idea. So I asked them to switch us but they won't unless we pay a new deposit, a whole new app fee, and new background check. I feel this isn't fair and feel my rights are being violated.

What do I need to do to get my apartment complex to move us with out all the fees?
That's wrong. I've switched apartments in the same building in the same complex, from an upstairs apartment to a downstairs one, without paying any of those crazy fees and without any background check. I had absolutely no issues. My only reasons for switching was for my safety due to my disability and I was worried that the metal plates that held the cement stairs had rusted into such snaggy conditions that if the back of my summer skirt or a pair of tatted old jeans got caught on the metal I would trip and fall. The management/landlord had absolutely no issues and switched me when a ground floor apartment in the same building became available. I didn't even need a doctor's note at all. I no longer live at that complex now though. I moved out the weekend after Turkey Day just last month.

Your landlord is totally in the wrong. They just want to suck all the money they can get before you finally move whenever in the future. They're just being greedy, selfish bastards who only sees the money signs $$$$$$.

Good luck and I hope you succeed but you shouldn't have to move just to aplease your neighbors. You're deaf and can't hear your own voice? The washer is too loud? They don't want to hear your cat or dog fart? Too bad for your neighbors! They are just being totally unreasonable. Don't let them drive you out of your apartment! They're whiny little dicks. Stand strong and stay where you are. They can't get the landlord to evict you just because they can hear you or the washer or whatever sounds that are at reasonable volumes for whatever time of the day it is made at. Screw the neighbors. Don't let them deny you your right to a normal everyday life and make you tiptoe around your apartment just because they "can" hear 10 times better than bats. They're just being dicks.
webexplorer and radioman like this.
__________________


"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - Philosopher George Santayana.



Implanted left ear 10/11/06, activated 10/16/06 - Nucleus Freedom


My own CI experience, my views on CI and ASL and Deaf Culture and Society


DeviantArt
LuciaDisturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
MDCodeRedFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: In a place where Code Red flows
Posts: 1,668
Send a message via AIM to MDCodeRedFreak
To the OP:

Take note of Lucia's post. That's what I would do.
__________________
~The Code Red Freak
MDCodeRedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,114
Luica not pleasure inappropriate swearing no offense I am please no please! you insult swearing you angry complaint OP!! negative your many times stop grow up!
your own your yourself your own apart if your take an advantage to people! no

your own your apart simply!inappropriate behavior OP!
__________________
Smithtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
purplecatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Center of the USA
Posts: 3,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaDisturbed View Post
That's wrong. I've switched apartments in the same building in the same complex, from an upstairs apartment to a downstairs one, without paying any of those crazy fees and without any background check. I had absolutely no issues. My only reasons for switching was for my safety due to my disability and I was worried that the metal plates that held the cement stairs had rusted into such snaggy conditions that if the back of my summer skirt or a pair of tatted old jeans got caught on the metal I would trip and fall. The management/landlord had absolutely no issues and switched me when a ground floor apartment in the same building became available. I didn't even need a doctor's note at all. I no longer live at that complex now though. I moved out the weekend after Turkey Day just last month.

Your landlord is totally in the wrong. They just want to suck all the money they can get before you finally move whenever in the future. They're just being greedy, selfish bastards who only sees the money signs $$$$$$.

Good luck and I hope you succeed but you shouldn't have to move just to aplease your neighbors. You're deaf and can't hear your own voice? The washer is too loud? They don't want to hear your cat or dog fart? Too bad for your neighbors! They are just being totally unreasonable. Don't let them drive you out of your apartment! They're whiny little dicks. Stand strong and stay where you are. They can't get the landlord to evict you just because they can hear you or the washer or whatever sounds that are at reasonable volumes for whatever time of the day it is made at. Screw the neighbors. Don't let them deny you your right to a normal everyday life and make you tiptoe around your apartment just because they "can" hear 10 times better than bats. They're just being dicks.

I agree with you 110% I've been there before. It sure sucks and we had to talk with Landlord and straighten things up. Luckily we only live Apt complex 6 months. Also I never had issue when we asked to transfer from one room to another for reason, As long as it's same rental price, no whatsoever charges on that, just change addresss and room number then sign it.

Sound like his Landlord is dirty jerk. Best bet is to talk with the Bank or Company that owns the Apartment complex. Landlord is just the "underlings". It works like a charm when Landlord blamed us for leaky water and expect us to pay $1,500 damage. It was never our fault so we went to Bank that owns and control Apartment complex. They gave us a waiver and warned Landlord to leave us alone. Landlord was pissed and kept mouth shut until we moved but funny thing she got fired a month later then new Landlord came in so We don't have to worry about grudgy Landlord at all.



Catty
purplecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered User
 
rockin'robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 20,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Teach Irish jigs in your apartment.
rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecatty View Post
I agree with you 110% I've been there before. It sure sucks and we had to talk with Landlord and straighten things up. Luckily we only live Apt complex 6 months. Also I never had issue when we asked to transfer from one room to another for reason, As long as it's same rental price, no whatsoever charges on that, just change addresss and room number then sign it.

Sound like his Landlord is dirty jerk. Best bet is to talk with the Bank or Company that owns the Apartment complex. Landlord is just the "underlings". It works like a charm when Landlord blamed us for leaky water and expect us to pay $1,500 damage. It was never our fault so we went to Bank that owns and control Apartment complex. They gave us a waiver and warned Landlord to leave us alone. Landlord was pissed and kept mouth shut until we moved but funny thing she got fired a month later then new Landlord came in so We don't have to worry about grudgy Landlord at all.



Catty
After having worked for a company that did construction, and both owned and managed rental property for many years before retirement I can't resist making some comments about industry terms. What Catty is calling "Landlord" is commonly known in the industry as the "Property Manager". The Property Manager may be someone hired by the owner or the owner may do their own property management.

I could see there being some at least a temporary addition to the security/damage deposit until the unit being vacated has passed inspection for any tenant caused damages but NOT additional fees.
WillKnit and HokuAhi like this.
Jane B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered User
 
purplecatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Center of the USA
Posts: 3,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane B. View Post
After having worked for a company that did construction, and both owned and managed rental property for many years before retirement I can't resist making some comments about industry terms. What Catty is calling "Landlord" is commonly known in the industry as the "Property Manager". The Property Manager may be someone hired by the owner or the owner may do their own property management.

I could see there being some at least a temporary addition to the security/damage deposit until the unit being vacated has passed inspection for any tenant caused damages but NOT additional fees.
Yes, Here in KS, they called Property Manager "Landlord".. We did not lose the security deposit after we moved out. The toilet was Apartment's problem. The Ballchock got stuck and it filled up and overflowed the tank, my roomates and I are deaf and we can't hear a thing. So the Owner waived it because we fits in description of waiver policy.

Catty
purplecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Hi, there!! I want to know how to make a good career in apartment property management field. currently I am working in a BPO office and want to switch in property management as I have heard they got some very good opportunities for new comer.

apartment property management grand rapids
jaccythone0257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonJ View Post
A what?

i think she meant shamen one of them spirtual people...i would ask her to sign to you and keep pointing out you deaf she get fed up
caz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.