AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > American with Disabilities Act
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Like Tree122Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #91 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspheth View Post
I do not consider myself to be disabled but society tends to disagree. That's my sweet and short answer. If I type anymore I'll go into a long diatribe of meaningless banter
That has been a view of mine for a long time now.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 08-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered User
 
hearingaidmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA.
Posts: 79
I'm not sure about other states but in PA no private insurance covers hearing aids/hearing services but medicaid does. Obviously, you are only approved for medicaid if you have little to no income. BUT if you apply for SSI and are approved... you qualify for medicaid under the "PH 95" loop hole. So, there is more than just one reason someone would apply for SS benefits.
hearingaidmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 02:40 AM   #93 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by traciedantoni View Post
I respect that response very much.

The reason I brought it up was because of another thread where it was polling people on how much their ssi/ssdi checks are and some of what I read indicated that some deaf people are in fact capable of working but choose not to. I don't think that's fair. And those are the same people who talk crap about how they are treated by society and hearing people. I think it makes deaf people look bad when certain people take advantage of the ssdi system but complain about how they are the same as everybody else.

I don't think deafness is a disability either and I agree it is more of an inconvenience or annoyance when trying to live life with as much ease as possible. CC is definitely a big topic and I support making sure it is accessible in all areas, tv/movies, public transportation, etc. Deaf people need to be able to know what's going on at all times just like everybody else and also enjoy things like movies and entertainment just like everybody else.
You have NO *F$$KING" idea!!!
rebeccalj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 02:58 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by traciedantoni View Post
Actually no. It did not have a "built-in assumption." It was a question. I certainly understand if people are having hard times and need help. I'm in that boat myself. The question was geared specifically towards the people who CHOOSE not to work when they are capable of working. Does that mean they will get a job right away? No. There are many hearing people that can't get jobs so I'm not naive enough to think it's any easier for deaf people to get jobs.

My father was lazy and wanted to play bowling all the time so he never attempted to find a job and just lived on his ssdi until the day he died. I find that to be disgusting. My mother worked very hard and still has the same job for the past 29 years. She's lucky to have a good job and she's very good at what she does. If she lost her job she would do everything in her power to get another one instead of just sitting on her butt collecting checks. Does that mean she couldn't collect checks WHILE she was looking for a job? No. It would be helpful to those who need assistance while they're trying to get back on their feet. Not those who live on it for years like my father did.
Right, because only the Deaf *choose* not to work when lots and lots of hearies are out there just work, work, working their buts off. Unhhuh. And America has the highest morbidly obesity problem in the world because? That has *NOTHING* to do with the Deaf.
jillio and radioman like this.
rebeccalj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 03:02 AM   #95 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by traciedantoni View Post
Thank you!!!! That is exactly what I was looking for. Especially that last line. Couldn't agree more.

Thanks for seeing the question and answering it without taking it offensively like others here.
Because it fit *YOUR* world and expectations. <rolling eyes> Same old, same old. Move along...
jillio likes this.
rebeccalj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #96 (permalink)
Registered User
 
radioman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In the good ole USA !
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalj View Post
Because it fit *YOUR* world and expectations. <rolling eyes> Same old, same old. Move along...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalj View Post
Right, because only the Deaf *choose* not to work when lots and lots of hearies are out there just work, work, working their buts off. Unhhuh. And America has the highest morbidly obesity problem in the world because? That has *NOTHING* to do with the Deaf.
well said !!

lets see- if you do a ratio of deaf skinny vs deaf obese and compare hearing skinny vs hearing obese traciedantoni might be doing some serious gulping and swallowing and sweating.....
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CrazyPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,699
First of all, since I am deaf, I can't apply for a job as a waiter or a secretary with requirement to answer phone calls. In other words, I am disabled.

Have you seen a deaf cashier at any Target store? Have you bought a movie ticket from a deaf worker at a ticket booth? Have you met a deaf car saleperson? I am not talking about hard of hearing people or oralists. I am talking about profoundly deaf people who use ASL and can't use speech.

That's why our federal government officially put a hearing-impairment (deafness) on a disabliltiy list under ADA. Therefore, deaf people are eligible for SSI and SSDI. That makes sense completely.

Fortunately, I have a job at US Postal Service for 27 years and it doesn't require verbal communication. However they don't hire anymore because of bad economy so deaf people have difficult times NOW to find jobs that don't require verbal communication. What's more, many businesses still practice audism.
CrazyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered User
 
kristy2078's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaul View Post
First of all, since I am deaf, I can't apply for a job as a waiter or a secretary with requirement to answer phone calls. In other words, I am disabled.
But if the employer can provide accommodations, are you still disabled?

A deaf secretary can still work with papers, meet with managers or clients in person, use email, use relay services, etc. A deaf waiter can have customers write out their orders or point to the menu.

I know of a deaf chirporactor in Ohio. Apparently, he's managed to find a way to communicate with his clients during sessions. I also know of a Deaf man who doesn't use speech and he works for the Mellon Bank in Pittsburgh. His job is within the data security network.

Very few jobs are all or nothing.

Employers need to be educated more on this issue.
deafskeptic and rebeccalj like this.
kristy2078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #99 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Home of Canucks!
Posts: 3,269
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaul View Post
Have you seen a deaf cashier at any Target store? Have you bought a movie ticket from a deaf worker at a ticket booth? Have you met a deaf car saleperson? I am not talking about hard of hearing people or oralists. I am talking about profoundly deaf people who use ASL and can't use speech.
I'm profoundly deaf, use ASL, no speech....I work two years in high school at movie theatre selling tickets. Not so hard. Theatre print picture of each movie poster, people point which one, hold up fingers show how many tickets. I smile, friendly. Smile goes long way!
deafskeptic, rebeccalj and CSign like this.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #100 (permalink)
Ad Astra Per Aspera
 
DeafBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,445
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via AIM to DeafBadger
To answer a question way back in July: Yes, businesses can get tax breaks for hiring legally-disabled people.

To answer the original poster: Do I consider my HOH to be a disability?

Well, it may help to indicate a few things about my background. I was mainstreamed and beyond grade school I did not have any HOH or Deaf friends (they just weren't in my school). So I saw myself as a struggling hearing person, rather than HOH or Deaf. That was how I related to the world around me.

I was repeatedly told by the HI teachers to be "independent," which I interpreted to mean that I should not ask for help and to figure out solutions myself. Which meant that when I really needed help or an extra leg up, I did not get it.

Which meant that it was not until my 30s that I discovered the deaf community and the many services available to deaf people. I am learning ASL and trying to learn more about the community and so on.

I did not think of my hearing loss as a disability when I was growing up. I thought it was not a limitation. But on the other hand, I did not think of myself as a deaf person. No one said that I was deaf, and in fact said that i was not deaf. (I have severe-to-profound hearing loss in both ears.) So I didn't think of myself that way.

But there was no question that school was a constant struggle and was difficult because I could not hear well. There was no question that I missed out on social opportunities because I could not hear my peers in school. There were occasions where groups of people around me would up and leave and I had no idea where they were going. It would turn out that they were talking about going for ice cream or whatever, and I did not hear them. They assumed that I did.

Here's the thing. If someone would have walked up to me then and said, "I can make your hearing whole so you can hear everything hearing people can." I could have grabbed that in an instant.

The reason is that I didn't think of myself as deaf... I wasn't told that I am deaf. To me, my hearing loss was a bottleneck. A difficulty to find ways around. To find solutions to. Because I was faced with real examples of how having a hearing loss caused me problems. I wasn't concerned with defining my hearing loss as a disability or not, I just wanted solutions! I wanted the difficulty to go away.

So yeah, I guess it is a disability. And realistically speaking, as someone who spends 99% of his time at this point in the hearing world, I am aware of how it restricts me. I'd like a hardware upgrade, as easily as someone might change a hardware part in a computer. But I know that is not going to happen. This is my hearing loss, with which I have lived since I was born.

Yes, there are difficulties. But there are SOLUTIONS. There always are, for those who are persistent enough to keep looking and find them.

In this sense, we are not disabled. Because we have our intelligence and community and resources to find solutions to what we want to do.

That's just my perspective as someone who has never been part of the deaf community until last month. I respect that others have different views.
DeafBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #101 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CrazyPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_signs View Post
I'm profoundly deaf, use ASL, no speech....I work two years in high school at movie theatre selling tickets. Not so hard. Theatre print picture of each movie poster, people point which one, hold up fingers show how many tickets. I smile, friendly. Smile goes long way!
It sounds like your theater has two or three movies to show daily in your small town. What if it shows 20 movies daily as the theaters in many cities do? Does your booth have enough room for those 20 movie posters? How can you tell which one of 20 movies they point to? To tell you the truth, I never saw the mini-posters at every booths in LA area.
CrazyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #102 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 39,877
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaul View Post
Yes I am still disabled because the employer would never provide an interpreter for my 8 HRS waiter or secretary job.



My wife applied for a secretary job but she was turned down because she can't answer phones. You talked to me like I am stupid so **** you. You know no shit about anything like you think life is easy for deaf people. Oh my God! You know no shit at all!

REALLY????? I want to meet that deaf waiter. Where does he work? You dumb ****! How does a customer tell a deaf waiter to hold onions? A restaurant owner would not allow it because he/she wants customers happy which is important to the business.
Wow! I am shocked at your language.
__________________
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #103 (permalink)
Registered User
 
candybrowneyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,358
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via AIM to candybrowneyes
Crazy Paul I sent you an email please check it.

Remember to please watch language on the forum. Let this be a warning to everyone! Thank you
rebeccalj likes this.
__________________
Love is the force that transforms and improves the soul of the world...
candybrowneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #104 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_signs View Post
I'm profoundly deaf, use ASL, no speech....I work two years in high school at movie theatre selling tickets. Not so hard. Theatre print picture of each movie poster, people point which one, hold up fingers show how many tickets. I smile, friendly. Smile goes long way!
Once I met a deaf cashier at a grocery store in Charlotte. I think several members of AD have worked as cashiers.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #105 (permalink)
Registered User
 
kristy2078's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaul View Post
It sounds like your theater has two or three movies to show daily in your small town. What if it shows 20 movies daily as the theaters in many cities do? Does your booth have enough room for those 20 movie posters? How can you tell which one of 20 movies they point to? To tell you the truth, I never saw the mini-posters at every booths in LA area.
Way to be optimistic and flexible.
kristy2078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #106 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Home of Canucks!
Posts: 3,269
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaul View Post
It sounds like your theater has two or three movies to show daily in your small town. What if it shows 20 movies daily as the theaters in many cities do? Does your booth have enough room for those 20 movie posters? How can you tell which one of 20 movies they point to? To tell you the truth, I never saw the mini-posters at every booths in LA area.
10 screens. 40 daily showings. Print all posters small on 11x17 paper. Hand to customer, they point which, hand back.

Almost anything possible if you willing try.
rebeccalj and ash345 like this.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #107 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CrazyPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_signs View Post
10 screens. 40 daily showings. Print all posters small on 11x17 paper. Hand to customer, they point which, hand back.

Almost anything possible if you willing try.
No shit? Obviously your manager is a cool one. However I doubt there are other theater managers like him or her.
CrazyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #108 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Home of Canucks!
Posts: 3,269
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaul View Post
No shit? Obviously your manager is a cool one. However I doubt there are other theater managers like him or her.
Not "cool". Smart enough realise he would get slapped with lawsuit if he discriminate against me only because I'm deaf. Deaf people can work theatre! Job not involve listen for enemies attacking. Sheesh. Job involve smiling, be friendly to customer, sell tickets. Not hard job! Manager 12 year old daughter work same job. Same girl with Down Syndrome. I think sad people think manager accommodates employees "cool". This how managers suppose be.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #109 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CrazyPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_signs View Post
Not "cool". Smart enough realise he would get slapped with lawsuit if he discriminate against me only because I'm deaf. Deaf people can work theatre! Job not involve listen for enemies attacking. Sheesh. Job involve smiling, be friendly to customer, sell tickets. Not hard job! Manager 12 year old daughter work same job. Same girl with Down Syndrome. I think sad people think manager accommodates employees "cool". This how managers suppose be.
When I go out to watch a movie with OC someday,
I will ask a manager there if he/she would hire a deaf person to sell movie tickets or not. So wait and see what the manager says. OK?
CrazyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #110 (permalink)
Registered User
 
SilentRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: santa cruz, ca
Posts: 348
Blog Entries: 12
I just wanted to say "yep" I feel your anger and frustration ... It is a brutal dig eat dog rat race.. not being able to hear what's going on around you can make one easy prey or targets for backstabbing, set up etc. They want your job too. Being smart and protecting yourself best u can and working hard and making friends helps.. not fun always feeling like u gotta have eyes in backbod your head.. but as long as one trust best.. what else can we do about everything else? It is very hard but some are successful good for u.. some just get stuck in bad area I feel for them.. one thing we can learn from history, is look at the women leadership helping women get job, look at blacks same thing, leadership got alot of benefits .. and a price to pay to get em.. it ain't easy but can be done, just a matter of the right person coming along.. its just a matter of time..
shel90 likes this.
__________________

\_(ツ)_/🚲
"It must be possible for us not to do good, so that our good has value and significance! "
SilentRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #111 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaul View Post
First of all, since I am deaf, I can't apply for a job as a waiter or a secretary with requirement to answer phone calls. In other words, I am disabled.

Have you seen a deaf cashier at any Target store? Have you bought a movie ticket from a deaf worker at a ticket booth? Have you met a deaf car saleperson? I am not talking about hard of hearing people or oralists. I am talking about profoundly deaf people who use ASL and can't use speech.

That's why our federal government officially put a hearing-impairment (deafness) on a disabliltiy list under ADA. Therefore, deaf people are eligible for SSI and SSDI. That makes sense completely.

Fortunately, I have a job at US Postal Service for 27 years and it doesn't require verbal communication. However they don't hire anymore because of bad economy so deaf people have difficult times NOW to find jobs that don't require verbal communication. What's more, many businesses still practice audism.
That's crazy, CrazyPaul!

I worked in restaurants and a lounge when I was younger. I'm oral Deaf so maybe that is the difference?

I also use the computer a lot to communicate for job and I have a, how do you say, high up job. Worked my way up like anyone else. If I quit client tomorrow I would have a job the next day.

Maybe my experience is unusual?
rebeccalj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #112 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristy2078 View Post
But if the employer can provide accommodations, are you still disabled?

A deaf secretary can still work with papers, meet with managers or clients in person, use email, use relay services, etc. A deaf waiter can have customers write out their orders or point to the menu.

I know of a deaf chirporactor in Ohio. Apparently, he's managed to find a way to communicate with his clients during sessions. I also know of a Deaf man who doesn't use speech and he works for the Mellon Bank in Pittsburgh. His job is within the data security network.

Very few jobs are all or nothing.

Employers need to be educated more on this issue.
Education is key!

Where I work most of what I do is face to face, work on my own or through email. My right hand gal do most of the phone calls for me and she's deaf in left ear (only just found out a week ago).

Most of my direct colleagues, or peers, know that I use email to communicate to do my job. If I cannot understand them on work phone with loud volume then I ask them if we can take to email. I have not had one person say, "No, talk to me," when I explain how hard to understand them.

It was hard to tell people what I need but, now that I do this for awhile, not so hard to put it out there that this is what I need. All have been understanding. Now, if I can only get idjit hearies, that I only deal with once or twice a month, to shut up and stop being ignorant and say ignorant things, life would be great!
rebeccalj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #113 (permalink)
Registered User
 
walrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: buffalo, ny
Posts: 59
i dont want too be labeled disabled because im not, I can work hard, learn just as well, fight just as mean as anyone else, and be great in the bedroom I am not effin disabled and it pisses me off when hearies say I am, can I not do some of the things they can like talk on the telephone? well maybe not as good as they can but I figure a way around it but if its really important send the fire brigade (yeah just an example of sarcasm, I hate phones) but no im not disabled Im HOH and Proud of it!!! nuff said
rebeccalj likes this.
__________________
only the truly brave do not ask how much of the enemy there are, only where the enemy is.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #114 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_signs View Post
Not "cool". Smart enough realise he would get slapped with lawsuit if he discriminate against me only because I'm deaf. Deaf people can work theatre! Job not involve listen for enemies attacking. Sheesh. Job involve smiling, be friendly to customer, sell tickets. Not hard job! Manager 12 year old daughter work same job. Same girl with Down Syndrome. I think sad people think manager accommodates employees "cool". This how managers suppose be.
Good post!
rebeccalj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #115 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CrazyPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalj View Post
That's crazy, CrazyPaul!

I worked in restaurants and a lounge when I was younger. I'm oral Deaf so maybe that is the difference?

I also use the computer a lot to communicate for job and I have a, how do you say, high up job. Worked my way up like anyone else. If I quit client tomorrow I would have a job the next day.

Maybe my experience is unusual?
How do profoundly deaf waiters who can't use speech communicate with customers? Please be realistic. You are an oralist which makes a difference.
CrazyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #116 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DeafCaroline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaul View Post
How do profoundly deaf waiters who can't use speech communicate with customers? Please be realistic. You are an oralist which makes a difference.
Hmm...I watched this video about the Deaf in Thailand and in Cambodia. trying to remember the name of the website. Basically it was this American deaf guy who travels the world and meet deaf people in each country. He met deaf business owners in thailand who owned restaurants, food carts and shops. He asked them how they served customers - they said they would use the calculator to explain prices and the customers would point to what they want in the shops or on the menu. Where there's a will, there's a way.
DeafCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #117 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CrazyPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalj View Post
Education is key!

Where I work most of what I do is face to face, work on my own or through email. My right hand gal do most of the phone calls for me and she's deaf in left ear (only just found out a week ago).

Most of my direct colleagues, or peers, know that I use email to communicate to do my job. If I cannot understand them on work phone with loud volume then I ask them if we can take to email. I have not had one person say, "No, talk to me," when I explain how hard to understand them.

It was hard to tell people what I need but, now that I do this for awhile, not so hard to put it out there that this is what I need. All have been understanding. Now, if I can only get idjit hearies, that I only deal with once or twice a month, to shut up and stop being ignorant and say ignorant things, life would be great!
Alot of businesses don't need to be educated because they already know about deafness but they don't want to deal with it. It's called audism. It happens everywhere. That's not bullshit. Come on, wake up and smell the coffee.
CrazyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #118 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DeafCaroline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaul View Post
Alot of businesses don't need to be educated because they already know about deafness but they don't want to deal with it. It's called audism. It happens everywhere. That's not bullshit. Come on, wake up and smell the coffee.
That's why I am a strong believer that Deaf people need to start up their own businesses instead of trying to get employed.

That's what I did after years of trying to get a job. I realized that the only person who would hire me is me so I started up my own business and that's when money started rolling in.
deafskeptic likes this.
DeafCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #119 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CrazyPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafCaroline View Post
Hmm...I watched this video about the Deaf in Thailand and in Cambodia. trying to remember the name of the website. Basically it was this American deaf guy who travels the world and meet deaf people in each country. He met deaf business owners in thailand who owned restaurants, food carts and shops. He asked them how they served customers - they said they would use the calculator to explain prices and the customers would point to what they want in the shops or on the menu. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Deaf owners naturally hire deaf people because they are united. Use your common sense. I know one deaf guy who owns a catering business and he hires deaf people to work with him so why the **** not? He uses VRS to take orders.
But I am talking about any restaurant like Red Lobster. Would they hire a deaf person as a waiter? ****ing no! Be realistic! Oralists or hard-of hearing people are not actually deaf.
CrazyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #120 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CrazyPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafCaroline View Post
That's why I am a strong believer that Deaf people need to start up their own businesses instead of trying to get employed.

That's what I did after years of trying to get a job. I realized that the only person who would hire me is me so I started up my own business and that's when money started rolling in.
Congratulation! I am proud of you. But please understand most of us don't have money to start with.
Grummer likes this.
CrazyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.