AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > American with Disabilities Act
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Like Tree122Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Just because it is hard to find a job or do things does not mean we should give up. When you give up you are only limiting yourself.

Keith Nolan I highly respect him. He doesn't give up. He refuses to allow society to make him disable.

I have seen many deaf people sit down on their pity pot and limit themselves. As I have with hearing people and others that allow themselves to be limited.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #62 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
That is just some of the few examples out of many. The point is that there are many deaf who are able to do avariety of jobs but society's prejudice makes it nearly impossible for many of us to achieve to our potential and as a result, many deaf give up and collect SSDI. Not everyone has the time nor the ability to fight and prove those ignorant people wrong. It would be nice but I am a realist especially in this economy the way it is. Call me pessimistic but I have seen way toooo many of my friends who have all the necessary degrees, training, or even experience apply to one company after another for years until they give up and work at jobs not related to their fields with poor pay or collect SSI. It gets discouraging.
As for jobs, how is this not a matter of civil rights for the Deaf? I am referring to posts like post #627 in the The new deaf generation speaking and listening thread. I would say civil rights for the deaf has plenty of merits.
dogmom likes this.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Ok so how come many deaf people can't serve in the front lines for the armed services, be a commercial airliner and etc? Because society says we can't.
Military does not only say deaf people can't fight combat. People with other medical conditions can not fight front line.

Which is why I respect Keith Nolan, He is not sitting on his pity pot griping about it. He is up there doing something about it.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #64 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,448
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Military does not only say deaf people can't fight combat. People with other medical conditions can not fight front line.

Which is why I respect Keith Nolan, He is not sitting on his pity pot griping about it. He is up there doing something about it.
Like I said, not everyone has that ability to do what he is doing. The point is that Deaf have been speaking out..you would think by now society would remove all the barriers. When does it end?
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #65 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,448
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
As for jobs, how is this not a matter of civil rights for the Deaf? I am referring to posts like post #627 in the The new deaf generation speaking and listening thread. I would say civil rights for the deaf has plenty of merits.
That hidden video exposed the discrimination that is still going on...only that the employers aren't coming right out and saying it. Just simply not calling the deaf people back for interviews. If it was a few, then I would believe it was due to lack of qualifications but that many? And then that video came out. Still a big problem. I would love for everyone to be like Keith Nolan. It takes a special kind of person to go out there and educate. I just wish society would be more willing to compromise.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #66 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
That hidden video exposed the discrimination that is still going on...only that the employers aren't coming right out and saying it. Just simply not calling the deaf people back for interviews. If it was a few, then I would believe it was due to lack of qualifications but that many? And then that video came out. Still a big problem. I would love for everyone to be like Keith Nolan. It takes a special kind of person to go out there and educate. I just wish society would be more willing to compromise.
I agree.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
That hidden video exposed the discrimination that is still going on...only that the employers aren't coming right out and saying it. Just simply not calling the deaf people back for interviews. If it was a few, then I would believe it was due to lack of qualifications but that many? And then that video came out. Still a big problem. I would love for everyone to be like Keith Nolan. It takes a special kind of person to go out there and educate. I just wish society would be more willing to compromise.
Shel... It will not happen overnight. We as deaf people have come a long ways. I will say this much. It is improving for Us. Which is why we need to continue to fight and educate others.

I just wish that some deaf people will rise off their pity pot and get out there and fight along with us instead of milking the system. Yes, I know some deaf people that are able to work and do not work. I do not hardly even hang out with some of them because all they want to do is moan, groan and blame everyone else out there while they chug their beers and smoke their pot.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #68 (permalink)
Banned
 
Grummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Posts: 14,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Shel... It will not happen overnight. We as deaf people have come a long ways. I will say this much. It is improving for Us. Which is why we need to continue to fight and educate others.

I just wish that some deaf people will rise off their pity pot and get out there and fight along with us instead of milking the system. Yes, I know some deaf people that are able to work and do not work. I do not hardly even hang out with some of them because all they want to do is moan, groan and blame everyone else out there while they chug their beers and smoke their pot.
so did I , moved away from that sort of crowd and go real. i still love my whisky and rums though, but i dont use it to 'laugh the pains off' i sip it in a very mature way, and actually enjoy it.
Not dont get me wrong not all are milking it, some are just not too bright to realise, that what 'they want' is out of their reach they the bicker and moan, but its also like that's their coping mechnasim they only know about, they 'know they could do better' but for so long they got used to it' and fell back, and stayed there , quite sad, but you know this is for millions, society's complext almost seemingly easy to access 'things' like junk food, good looking cheap clothes makes it very difficult to 'see pass the material sides of things and deciding what to do , like as you say getting off their bums'...its really not fair to spout and say they lazy...i actually sometimes thinks
its the rich owners whos are lazy they just talk smart with money (as thats all they know about) and dont know hard work and dont know real life because they spend times looking, driving the latest greatest cars, talking to 'flash people' about 'interesting things' as a class act, but all the while they think they 'know it' they havent got a clue. they might have power, and money, in fact LOTS of that its scary, but they're are just "actors" of the flaw society,,,sometimes again they face struggles of no trust, everyones money is more important than whats theirs lifes worth
Grummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Grummer from the many post I see you post seems like you have issues with rich or famous people. Granted some of them may have had it easy, but many of them actually busted their ass to get where they are at.

I never said it was easy for a person to get out of the pity pot mode. I know some of them are actually depressed. And rather to just stay home and drown their sorrows. It is a vicious cycle for them.


Some of them actually tell me that they can work and that they do not want to work becaue they rather to play. They get SSI, Foodstamps, go to different charities to get food and clothing. If they put that much effort into finding a job and working they would be so much better off. I am not just speaking about deaf people I am speaking of people in general.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered User
 
AlleyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In my time zone
Posts: 12,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Ok so how come many deaf people can't serve in the front lines for the armed services, be a commercial airliner and etc? Because society says we can't.
Yep. And regardless of what others may say, we know it's because we are deaf that we don't get hired for these kinds of jobs. That has shown itself to be true for decades.
AlleyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #71 (permalink)
Banned
 
Grummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Posts: 14,386
i dont have issues with them, im merely a social scientist they intrigue me, always has, oh i have some of the best freinds who are really wealthy i dont whine, i'd even cook them meals and expect nothing back, maybe lately they might help out like, invite me along to go hunting, got nothing to do with money, just freindship and enjoys their company as i do enjoy company of intelligent people with a life. I always makes observations, and sometimes i even share that with Mark or Greg -they surprise me too, they wonder about similar things, if not always, sometimes they dont like what i say or even we risked freindship over differences, end of the day they know that's my interest and they know i try not make it personal , its hard though. i like poor people too as they dont have as much to appreciate simply because of experience or they dont care, nor completely ignorant of it due to 'class-based tastes' most time when im there i accept, and shut my mouth but maybe id pick carefully and show them something else, later on when id know how they'd react, sometime it doesnt work either lol, oh well...but no, 'issues' well
that subjective too again some 'rich people are rich because they are mean, i have seen that as well....and power hungry i have seen that first hand too..but to me how i cope, is that they are simply 'actors' in soceity they want that life if they can get it, but there's ALWAYS some cost one way or another...to live it...
each to their own i for one, wouldnt like to be very wealthy, there'd be other worries that id be so for unaccustomed to and would dread it...so id stay where i am...(sound familiar?) anyway, yea i dont like rich people because right now the trend is ,
the new denial' which i dread the consequences for it in coming decades...
Grummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #72 (permalink)
Banned
 
Grummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Posts: 14,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
As in...not make it a big deal.
this shows your true naivity
Grummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #73 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,448
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Shel... It will not happen overnight. We as deaf people have come a long ways. I will say this much. It is improving for Us. Which is why we need to continue to fight and educate others.

I just wish that some deaf people will rise off their pity pot and get out there and fight along with us instead of milking the system. Yes, I know some deaf people that are able to work and do not work. I do not hardly even hang out with some of them because all they want to do is moan, groan and blame everyone else out there while they chug their beers and smoke their pot.
There will always be some people who milk the system. Those are the ones who I don't concern myself with because they aren't willing to do shit.

It is those who did everything right..getting the education, working hard, and etc who are the ones who get screwed by society's inability to adjust. That is what pisses me off hence that philosophy I have.
Grummer and deafskeptic like this.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #74 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,448
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
As in...not make it a big deal.
It is a big deal to those who worked their assess off because they were told as children that if they do, they will be successful at their field of work only to find themselves working at menial jobs or without jobs because of ignorance about deafness.

Maybe not to you but to those who have lived day in and day out with constant discrimation, it is a big deal.
Grummer, deafskeptic and Buffalo like this.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered User
 
AlleyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In my time zone
Posts: 12,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummer View Post
this shows your true naivity
I don't know that I would call it naivety. I would more likely call it true ignorance (and the lack of finding out reality).
deafskeptic likes this.
AlleyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Speedy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: England
Posts: 816
It same thing here. I know some of deaf people are smart and got qualifcations and CAN do the job but they keep getting refused for the job by the boss/whoever doing hiring.

Also lot of companies are worried about cost, communication, etc with Deaf people and they think it easier to pick hearing person even if hearing person is lower qualified.
Speedy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #77 (permalink)
Banned
 
Grummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Posts: 14,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat View Post
I don't know that I would call it naivety. I would more likely call it true ignorance (and the lack of finding out reality).
no, she's naive and boasts upon superiority of English
shel90 likes this.
Grummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #78 (permalink)
Banned
 
Grummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Posts: 14,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy hawk View Post
it same thing here. I know some of deaf people are smart and got qualifcations and can do the job but they keep getting refused for the job by the boss/whoever doing hiring.

Also lot of companies are worried about cost, communication, etc with deaf people and they think it easier to pick hearing person even if hearing person is lower qualified.
exactly
Grummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #79 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
It is a big deal to those who worked their assess off because they were told as children that if they do, they will be successful at their field of work only to find themselves working at menial jobs or without jobs because of ignorance about deafness.

Maybe not to you but to those who have lived day in and day out with constant discrimation, it is a big deal.
Exactly.
mimimama likes this.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #80 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Hawk View Post
It same thing here. I know some of deaf people are smart and got qualifcations and CAN do the job but they keep getting refused for the job by the boss/whoever doing hiring.

Also lot of companies are worried about cost, communication, etc with Deaf people and they think it easier to pick hearing person even if hearing person is lower qualified.
I see this all too often. I still remember one deaf man who majored in computer programmming and did an internship who was quite bitter cuz he couldn't find a job as programmer but had to settle for being a mail clerk.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #81 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
There will always be some people who milk the system. Those are the ones who I don't concern myself with because they aren't willing to do shit.

It is those who did everything right..getting the education, working hard, and etc who are the ones who get screwed by society's inability to adjust. That is what pisses me off hence that philosophy I have.
Well said. Just because there are some who milk the system doesn't mean other deaf don't have a legit concern.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered User
 
AlleyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In my time zone
Posts: 12,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
Just because there are some who milk the system doesn't mean other deaf don't have a legit concern.
Perfectly said.
AlleyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Shoshana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDeafNinja View Post
My dad will get SSI three months later due skin cancer and he is very sick to work.
I am sorry about your dad Joey, Hope he feels better soon!

I would collect SSD, I have been trying to find job for YEARS! BUT it is hard, I can not work the phone, can not take orders (waitress), and I am limited to the types of people I can communicate with...please tell me who will hire me?

I think also this is available to Deaf people because despite the ADA people WILL (and DO) deny job based on this. I have applied to many jobs, went in to speak to the people but once they knew I was Deaf they quickly put end to the conversation and went on their way.

I AM IN NO WAY LAZY! I have the drive and determination and WILL to work!
__________________
SHOSHANA
Shoshana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DeafTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Utica,OH
Posts: 2,334
Some of you have no idea what is like to be deaf. Dont judge unless you legally deaf.

Get this, as of today, men dont have to pay child support if collect SSI and SSDI.

I can go knock up a stripper and dont have to pay anything.
__________________
You aint better than me and you will never be better than me,ass-clown


Audist people suck! You got a problem wit' dat, go to hell
DeafTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Buffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
I see this all too often. I still remember one deaf man who majored in computer programmming and did an internship who was quite bitter cuz he couldn't find a job as programmer but had to settle for being a mail clerk.
I can related to your friend. I majored in computer programming as well. The employment offices and the likes tried to put me in computer operating which is very different and less challenging. I didn't get the job I want for about 10 years. When I landed a programming job, - boy - I got only one promotion in 10 and half years.

Right now I am collecting SSDI but still want to work. I am changing my tactics. I want to run my own business. (not sure what to go into and still need to take more business classes) If nobody wants to hire me, I will hire myself.
CSign and Beach girl like this.
__________________

“The problem is not that the (deaf) students do not hear. The problem is that the hearing world does not listen. “- Rev Jesse L. Jackson ( American Civil Rights Activist, Minister)
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Buffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
My philosophy is this "We are not disabled but society makes us disabled."
You took the words right out of my mouth (more like out of my hands).

I got to thinking that when I was watching a program where a little person said he had to stand on the toilet in order to use it. He said something like this: "Whose fault is it? Me or the way things are designed?". I was thinking that it would be nice if the owner would put in a small toilet - not only for the little people but for kids as well. (I have seen a little boy grabbed the toilet to raise himself up backward and I didn't like that.)
__________________

“The problem is not that the (deaf) students do not hear. The problem is that the hearing world does not listen. “- Rev Jesse L. Jackson ( American Civil Rights Activist, Minister)
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #87 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 86
This really sets me off when I think about it. And, yes I do think hearing loss is a disability. But really, who wants to define themselves as being disabled? No, I am not disabled, but I do have a disability.

Granted every part of my body works and is healthy but my ears. (I hate seeing this) So why can't I work? I don't need ears to physically work. Right? Is this what you are getting at? Well a man in a wheelchair don't need legs to work with his hands does this make him any less disabled?
DeafTim likes this.
mimimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #88 (permalink)
MCB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 480
I don't consider myself disabled. I just need the right working environment.

Although I regard my hearing loss as a minor part of the problem, because of PTSD, I need some protection from radical LDS who would tend to discriminate against me because of my ancestry. Genealogy/family tree
Because of this, I am having problems getting a job. It is not easy.

My hearing loss did contribute to the problem, because by the time I got HA's and began to understand what was going on, the situation was quite bad. When things blew up on me, I was disabled, and could have gone on disability. However, I only regarded it as a problem to be overcome, and not a permanent disability. Therefore, I chose not to because going on disability because a devastated sense of personal failure and low self-worth would have been an excuse for suicide. It is not my problem, their prejudice is their problem.

There is even more to the set of problems I face, but I am not at liberty to disclose.

Last edited by MCB; 07-29-2011 at 09:42 AM.
MCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered User
 
FadedRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 668
I do not consider myself to be disabled but society tends to disagree. That's my sweet and short answer. If I type anymore I'll go into a long diatribe of meaningless banter
jillio and deafskeptic like this.
__________________
FadedRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by traciedantoni View Post
Thank you!!!! That is exactly what I was looking for. Especially that last line. Couldn't agree more.

Thanks for seeing the question and answering it without taking it offensively like others here.
You forget. Everyone who is able to work but doesn't work is affected by the economy. For starters, me. I work a job as a primary caregiver but it doesn't pay much. However, my job history (or track record) has given me permanent black marks that weren't supposed to be there but by influence of arrogant, hot-headed managers, they ended up disciplining me on record without being honest.

I can work, but I can't work a job that would naturally support myself financially and set me on my feet with my debt at zero. Right now my debt is mounting because 1) I failed to pay for the bills that were important because of various factors that affect it (i.e., rent, cell phones, etc.), 2) it is quite hard to find a good job where managers naturally know who they're dealing with. I love working and I love working so much; lately I have not been giving myself so much faith to work twice as hard because I know that once I do, managers are going to bear down hard on me.

The adage, "It is so hard to find good workers" is not a one-way street. It's a two-way street. Just because a manager cannot find good workers means that they are not treating their employees so well. That goes for being unable to find great managers because leadership in the current place is not quite effective, or is not understanding how to deal with people that have a disability or a set of disabilities.

SSDI is not meant for disabled people at all. The Social Security system was set up to supplant the retired people with money they saved in taxes from their work. When they hit sixty or sixty-five, they are able to access whatever funds they had saved themselves from years of work. Now, the SS system affects everyone. Just because I'm on SSDI, get paid little doesn't mean that I am disabled, worthless, a piece of crap, and must deserve SSDI. Quite the contrary. On the other hand, I am very anti-SSDI and don't believe that deaf people should accept it. We should be treated to the same wages as others (which we do), but the problem lies in the job description and promotions. Promotions don't come easily for those who are working at the bottom of the ladder, that no matter how hard they worked, it's hard to advance the ladder when you know the bosses are afraid, aggravated that the deaf person is working twice as hard and knows he/she can take their job.

I have worked hard in my life before and cannot fathom accepting any more SSDI though it is a necessity (for now), not a strict requirement. I would rather that I support myself but despite these hard times, my job history is not going to get me to where I'd like to be: to be very financially independent, my debt at zero, and no going back to SSDI for the rest of my life. I hate SSDI like it's the cockroach of the century. COMPLETELY hate it.

I'd rather not be like your dad who spent every single SSDI check and not work at all. I would rather work hard 24/7, have a large Wikipedia entry while I continue working, and become known for what I do/did, and pass away knowing I did more than rely on SSDI.
Huscurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.