View Single Post
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #26 (permalink)
Cheetah
Cheetah Consulting-Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie View Post
An interesting visit with the audiologist today.... I asked if at the end the hearing aid does aggravate the tinnitus, would CI help and be an option? She stated that I would not be a good candidate for CI because I was born Deaf and wore hearing aids since I was young. She said CIs work best for those lost their hearing after birth. I thought that was funny because many of my friends who were born Deaf, now have CIs and work fine for them. I am going to get a second opinion on the whole thing.
A couple things here... the deaf before or after birth is not really the issue. The issue is learned speech. If you learned speech at a young age with HA then you may have benefit from CI after HA no longer help you. If you never really learned to hear speech then a CI would be very challenging (for speech but might be an option for other sounds).

Your Audiologist cannot work with you with a CI. He/she will lose you as a customer if you get a CI. Have a discussion with a CI doctor. The Dr will have you work with one of their CI audiologist. They have the training and the equipment to work with CIs and can properly evaluate you for candidacy for a CI.

Bottom line? get a second opinion...
Open daily 9 ~ 5
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote