View Single Post
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #224 (permalink)
jillio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
You're presuming that workers would wait until retirement age to get medical insurance. If they had used the Medicare "contribution" during their working years to get medical insurance early on, they could just continue with that insurance after retirement.

Also, neither Medicare nor private insurances survive on just the premiums paid. The carriers invest those premiums into other funds.

If Medicare is so great, why do most retirees also get Humana, Blue Cross, etc., as Medicare supplements? I have VA health care, and I will be eligible for Medicare someday, and I still pay now over $200/month for long-term care insurance for TCS and me.

You are also at their mercy for coverage, services, and availability.

Of course, Medicare is available to not just civil service employees.

When you (specific you, not generic you) are eligible for Medicare, will you accept it?

Online NewsHour: The Medicare System | Financing | PBS
I am presuming nothing of the kind. And the holes in your theory are causing it to sink. Workers are generally covered under a company group plan prior to retirement. Once retired, that company group plan is no longer available, and thus the need for a low cost government run insurance plan that allows for coverage on a fixed income.

You are at a carrier's mercy regrading coverage and availability no matter what insurance company or policy you have. What makes you think that is specific to Medicare or a government run program?

Who said that insurance companies survive on just premiums paid? I don't recall anyone making that claim. It is totally irrelevent to this discussion.

Probably not. I don't intend to retire, and therefore will be eligible for insurance through my professional organization. Likewise, by the time that I am elibible for Medicare, health care reform will have been fully in place for quite some time, and therefore, other options will be available to me, and to all Americans.