View Single Post
Unread 04-19-2004, 03:24 PM   #68 (permalink)
deafdyke

Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
can speak and lipread but like always it does depend on the other person speaking.
Same with me. I can hear a lot of people who speak very well, but other people who don't enunicate or who mumble or who don't have really good professional speaker voices, I can barely understand.
Quote:
I speak like a foreigner, or so I'm told.
Same with me...I have a VERY "deaf" sounding voice and lots of people think I'm from the UK or something. (I'm American from New England)
Quote:
My Deaf parents are not your normal Deaf parents that wants to immerse their hard of hearing children in a Deaf school. They wanted us to have Bi-Bi education and/or mainstreaming. We had the best of both worlds
Well, you were lucky...you had Deaf parents who reconized the need for some exposure to hearing culture for hoh kids. If I have kids (they'll be most likely hoh since the cause of my being hoh is genetic and I have a 50% chance of passing it on) I'll send my kids to a deaf school at least part time, and then also send them to a hearing school too. I also might send them to a school for hoh kids too if the speech services at the hearing and deaf schools aren't good for dhh kids.
Quote:
With hearing aids on I speak very softly. I always seem to think I'm talking too loud,
I have volume issues myself (especially if I am upset or something) but I tend to speak too loudly. Everywhere I go..its' "MODULATE your voice DeafDyke!"
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote